Swearing on the VOC Forum

• Thread starter Graham Smith
  • Start date

Do you think swear words should be censored on this forum?

• Total voters

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If the question of contributing to MPH were to arise, Graham, you would be accorded the usual one-use licence with the fees waived or, were you offering a nominal fee, ordered donated to a motorcycle racers' widows and orphans fund or some other good cause. I think you would find this to be more or less the case with any of the professional writers I know in the VOC's ranks.

I've made my point. You're stepping down from the editorship of MPH soon. I have nothing against you personally. I wish you well. For someone without any apparent qualifications for the job, you've made a good fist of it. Some members lament the MPH of John Webber and earlier incumbents like "Rab" Butler but times change.

PK

Where did this come from???? I thought it was the duty of a professional writer to get their facts right before publishing. As an "amateur" writer I ask who was "Rab" Butler, do you mean "RAB" Cook? The only RAB Butler I know of was Chancellor of the Exchequer in the early '50s. If Graham is stepping down as editor why has he put his name forward for re-election? Come on Prosper, rise above the others & contribute one of your "real" articles.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
The most upsetting thing i have encountered on this forum occurred last year when i posted a rememberance thread on 11th november. This thread was removed because in the words of graham "things were getting silly". I did see one comment left by somebody from america going on about his birthday and i assume the rest were along those lines. Well if some tosser wants to make a derogatory comment like that then that is up to him and if it was left in the public domain then everybody could see it and also see what a w****r that person is.

What are you nuts Mick? I've had ten years in the military and I can pretty well guarantee I out ranked you (Two weeks ago I was given a tour of Whale Island). What I said was in jest and it was my birthday. If you still believe wars are made and fought so good can win over evil that's your perogative, I happen to think they are all about profit for the Military-Industrial-Political crooks. Hey, I had this figured out by the time I was 28... I see you're in your late 40's, what's up? And, Yes I respect the Soldiers, Sailors and Airman who gave their lives...... but for what??

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
Where did this come from???? I thought it was the duty of a professional writer to get their facts right before publishing. As an "amateur" writer I ask who was "Rab" Butler, do you mean "RAB" Cook? The only RAB Butler I know of was Chancellor of the Exchequer in the early '50s. If Graham is stepping down as editor why has he put his name forward for re-election? Come on Prosper, rise above the others & contribute one of your "real" articles.

Simple typo on an internet forum. Sort of slip one makes in a conversation, which is what forum discourse is. Yes, of course, you're right. It was R A Cook rather than Butler. As for Graham Smith relinquishing the editorship of MPH, he did say something on this forum about it, even if we cannot seem to find it now. Several people read it, which is why a replacement was a talking point. If he has changed his mind, so be it. As for one of my "real articles", did you have anything in particular in mind?

PK

G

Graham Smith

As for Graham Smith relinquishing the editorship of MPH, he did say something on this forum about it, even if we cannot seem to find it now. Several people read it, which is why a replacement was a talking point. If he has changed his mind, so be it. As for one of my "real articles", did you have anything in particular in mind.

I can't remember ever saying I was going to relinquish my post of Editor.

Of course, you may be confused by me saying that my post came up for election in 2009. (I can't remember saying this either, but there's a possibility that I did.)

This is of course common amongst all Exec. Members who have to stand for their position every three years.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
The most upsetting thing i have encountered on this forum occurred last year when i posted a rememberance thread on 11th november. This thread was removed because in the words of graham "things were getting silly". I did see one comment left by somebody from america going on about his birthday and i assume the rest were along those lines. Well if some tosser wants to make a derogatory comment like that then that is up to him and if it was left in the public domain then everybody could see it and also see what a w****r that person is.

What are you nuts Mick? I've had ten years in the military and I can pretty well guarantee I out ranked you (Two weeks ago I was given a tour of Whale Island). What I said was in jest and it was my birthday. If you still believe wars are made and fought so good can win over evil that's your perogative, I happen to think they are all about profit for the Military-Industrial-Political crooks. Hey, I had this figured out by the time I was 28... I see you're in your late 40's, what's up? And, Yes I respect the Soldiers, Sailors and Airman who gave their lives...... but for what??

Not wishing to hijack this thread with another issue but I have to take you to task over this disrespectful dialogue. November 11 is to commemorate those who died in two world wars to benefit you and everyone else. Wars now may be fought over other issues but good did very definitely defeat evil in WW1 & 2. Do not degenerate those who both died and survived in those conflicts with your ill felt skepticism. Hopefully the world will never have to know the horror's they suffered .To read this coming from a serviceman is appalling , how can you not honour your comrades ??!!

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
I can't remember ever saying I was going to relinquish my post of Editor.

Of course, you may be confused by me saying that my post came up for election in 2009. (I can't remember saying this either, but there's a possibility that I did.)

This is of course common amongst all Exec. Members who have to stand for their position every three years.

Thank you for clarifying this, Graham, for those members who were confused enough to start approaching VOC members with relevant experience to see if they might be interested in running MPH after your departure. Obviously, the people concerned misread it. I'm not after your job, by the way. You're clearly the right man for the job and what it entails.

PK

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
Not wishing to hijack this thread with another issue but I have to take you to task over this disrespectful dialogue. November 11 is to commemorate those who died in two world wars to benefit you and everyone else. Wars now may be fought over other issues but good did very definitely defeat evil in WW1 & 2. Do not degenerate those who both died and survived in those conflicts with your ill felt skepticism. Hopefully the world will never have to know the horror's they suffered .To read this coming from a serviceman is appalling , how can you not honour your comrades ??!!

I would agree that WW2 was a war involving, to some extent, good over evil. However, like WW1 and so many other ways, it was also about money. As, I think, Woodrow Wilson was reputed to have remarked: "Three words started The Great War: Made in Germany" In a sense, WW2 was sparked by British concerns over a renascent Germany. Poland was the catalyst but one wonders why Britain - and France - did not include Nazi Germany's then-ally the USSR in the ultimatum to quit Poland. In modern times Britain has never been inclined to tolerate a single, strong European power, as the war against Napoleon shows. During the Napoleonic Wars, the Grande Armée marched into battle in British-made boots. In WW2, General Motors shareholders benefitted indirectly from the profits made by GM subsidiaries like Opel. Meanwhile, after the US entered WW2 on the Allied side, IBM was supplying the Nazis through Switzerland with the card index systems that helped the Gestapo and its related branches implement the Final Solution. More recently, the Falkands War was ostensibly about kicking the Argentines off British sovereign territory but let us not forget the Antarctic oil and mineral-related ambitions of the British business cabal of the era that included Tiny Rowland, Denis Thatcher and others.

I consider November 11th to be sacrosanct. But that does not mean that I believe all that tosh about good causes. Our leaders and the moneybags who pull their strings would marry their daughters to the Devil himself were there profit in it.

PK
(11 years' service all-told)

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Regardless of the political motives any war involves , good people fought for their country , many lost their lives , many were seriously wounded and maimed , families lost their Son's , Fathers , Uncles , etc , etc , this is the issue and no one should be permitted to go unchallenged when they make derogatory comments about their honour and memory. Mistakes that cost huge loss of life in both wars are undoubted , but had it not been for those that were prepared to sacrifice, the world would have been much worse for it. Hopefully , we will never know the terror of world conflict again.

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
Respect

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT POLITICS LET ALONE MENTIONED IT. I WAS TALKING ABOUT REMEMBERANCE DAY WHEN PEOPLE WITH ANY OUNCE OF COMPASSION/SENSE OF HISTORY PUT ASIDE A SMALL PERIOD OF TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE SACRIFICES OTHER PEOPLE HAVE MADE ON OUR BEHALF. I WAS IN THE BRITISH ARMY FOR 8 YEARS AND ONE THING I DID LEARN WAS RANK DID NOT EQUAL INTELLIGENCE
MICK

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT POLITICS LET ALONE MENTIONED IT. I WAS TALKING ABOUT REMEMBERANCE DAY WHEN PEOPLE WITH ANY OUNCE OF COMPASSION/SENSE OF HISTORY PUT ASIDE A SMALL PERIOD OF TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE SACRIFICES OTHER PEOPLE HAVE MADE ON OUR BEHALF. I WAS IN THE BRITISH ARMY FOR 8 YEARS AND ONE THING I DID LEARN WAS RANK DID NOT EQUAL INTELLIGENCE
MICK

The standard way of getting rid of morons, loonies and other stumbling liabilities was to recommend them for promotion. Once promoted, they were usually posted elsewhere. This explains the nutters and retards in sergeants' messes throughout the British Army. At commissioned level, this also explains the numbers of passed-over majors constipating the system. Once they come up against staff college entry exams, that's their lot.

PK

PK

Last edited: