Swearing on the VOC Forum

• Thread starter Graham Smith
  • Start date

Do you think swear words should be censored on this forum?

• Total voters

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bugger ! I voted the wrong way, didn't read the question properly - same problem I used to have in exams.

Surely we're all grown ups and can censor ourselves without big brother. The big problem is that words change meaning with time, and what's a swear word today will be acceptable later, and in any case it's not the word that's actually a swear word it's the intent when it's used.

I am well known for very rarely swearing, but I do like to chunter the odd curse when the circlip flies accross the garage and lands in the dirty engine oil I've just drained. And sometimes a swearword is necessary to make a point, like when the Volvo driver pulls out in front of you - "I say that was close old chap" doesn't really express feelings as well as "****************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Let's be grown up about this, we all know what's acceptable and what isn't, I use the "If I can say it in front of my elderly parents, it's ok for the rest of the world" aproach, especially a bunch of motorcyclists, who've heard it all before!

One last thing, this could be the thin end of the wedge - if we have automatic censoring what will it think of Fanny Barnets? Will we be able to discuss grease nipples? etc etc

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When our first little darling started to talk, we realized we needed to change our "driving words" and settled on "That Silly Billy!" instead speculating on the other driver having "amour du goats".

Bugger ! I voted the wrong way, didn't read the question properly - same problem I used to have in exams.

Surely we're all grown ups and can censor ourselves without big brother. The big problem is that words change meaning with time, and what's a swear word today will be acceptable later, and in any case it's not the word that's actually a swear word it's the intent when it's used.

I am well known for very rarely swearing, but I do like to chunter the odd curse when the circlip flies accross the garage and lands in the dirty engine oil I've just drained. And sometimes a swearword is necessary to make a point, like when the Volvo driver pulls out in front of you - "I say that was close old chap" doesn't really express feelings as well as "****************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Let's be grown up about this, we all know what's acceptable and what isn't, I use the "If I can say it in front of my elderly parents, it's ok for the rest of the world" aproach, especially a bunch of motorcyclists, who've heard it all before!

One last thing, this could be the thin end of the wedge - if we have automatic censoring what will it think of Fanny Barnets? Will we be able to discuss grease nipples? etc etc

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member

Problem is , some people can't or won't moderate their language and some people are more easily offended than others.

Howard

VOC Member
Re comments from Bruce and Tnecniv.

Perhaps it's not the words we need to censor, but the people who use them inappropriatly (where's the spell checker when you need it?). Can't we just have a "three strokes and you're out rule"?

How about allowing each member to issue a yellow card to offensive entries, 5 yellow cards and the offender is sinbinned for a week, doubled each time they transgress.

G

Graham Smith

Re comments from Bruce and Tnecniv.

Perhaps it's not the words we need to censor, but the people who use them inappropriatly (where's the spell checker when you need it?). Can't we just have a "three strokes and you're out rule"?

How about allowing each member to issue a yellow card to offensive entries, 5 yellow cards and the offender is sinbinned for a week, doubled each time they transgress.

Howard's suggestion is a good one, and pretty easy to implement.

What do other people think?