Spotted this today

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Max,

This thread is ideal for you to contribute to, and all of the moderators do in fact appreciate your Vincent knowledge, and welcome your on-topic contributions. Sorry, not just Vincent knowledge, but also other topics like this, coupling multiple engines, or others like running nitro, etc.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
wonder what the upper frame member looks like...?? ;)
Like this. Max has received much praise from other land speed racers for how everything is packed in, and for his workmanship.
16.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
There was a bloke in UK some years ago, Put two Norton Manx engines together, I think it did 180 or 190 mph ish on a flying 1/4 mile, not sure if they were 350 or 500, Cheers Bill.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Speaking only for myself, I do not mind someone bragging about his achievments. It might be considered impolite but I can put up with that. It is the provocation which makes some of us fail to appreciate the good things.

Exactly, why the comment (significant records) was even mentioned? There are no insignificant records, at least to the guy or gal setting the record, for provocation to exist there must be some one who starts the provocation.

Cheers

Max

excuse the sp

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
landracing.com has a build going on in the UK , its a set on with 2 Panther 600 slopper's . From what I have seen it looks good .

Cheer

Max

excuse the sp

Albervin

VOC Member
Exactly, why the comment (significant records) was even mentioned? There are no insignificant records, at least to the guy or gal setting the record, for provocation to exist there must be some one who starts the provocation.

Cheers

Max

excuse the sp
Max, all I wanted was a reply from someone who had successfully mated 2 engines and obtained a record/speed that was recognised outside their backyard. You certainly meet those criteria. So please reply. I am not baiting or trying to trick you. I want to know if there is a "trick" to synchronising 2 engines and what sort of power (max. BHP @ ?rpm) you obtain on whatever fuel mix you are using.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
It would take a book with many pages to answer the questions ask in there entirety. Coupling two or more engines challenges the builder to cope with
mechanical physics that don't want to cooperate. I can think of a few, possible on the VOC web that are our brothers that have took on the challenge.
Neil Diggens Dad coupled two Triumph's together using the crank coupling gears from an Arial Square Four. Dan Smith coupled two Harley's. Dave Matson
has coupled two Vincent's, while in the service he coupled THREE Vincent's. Many attempt's have been made, the failures in the endeavor far out number the successes . Having been told this by those that have tried, spending a couple of decades watching doubles at the drags spit there coupling chains with regularity, I decided to build a test bead to find out what physics were involved in the coupling of two engines . On my son' s video that he made for a birthday present, you will see a double engine Mustang motor/scooter, the white bike. That is the quickie I glued together for the test bead. After an extensive test project for real life going on's , I came to the conclusion to make happy the coupling chain , it was paramount to have the front engine lead the rear engine in its ignition firing by 10 degrees. All other attempts like firing the engines 180 degrees apart proved unworkable, shedding the chain in short time . All other combinations had the same results. ( more later)

Max

excuse the sp

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Also spotted yesterday; Lidl this week are selling digital verniers for £8.99. Having watched these come down over the years from many tens of pounds to the new price there is now no excuse for not having a modern 'measuring stick'. Of course I have no connection with the company.
I spent my mid teens being beaten about the ribs, by war veterans ,to ensure that I could read a proper Vernier scale.
More recently, I had to stand in court and explain to an idiot in a wig that a " Vernier Caliper" was not a sophisticated measuring instrument, but the first thing that was taught to a new apprentice, after how to make the tea.