sparkplug indexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Humour in a bar is maybe o-k, when it is written it comes across a bit different. I have been in the same place myself. I accept your apology, please don't wind me up again. Regards, Roy

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Humour in a bar is maybe o-k, when it is written it comes across a bit different... please don't wind me up again
Yes, that's definitely true. It's no excuse, but my intent was only to lighten the tone of a thread that, as you had said earlier, was "getting a bit heated" in a few places. I'm usually better at not winding people up as I unintentionally did here.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Wow..I step away for a day and...

Indexing plugs has value, doing it does increase horsepower, but only in very, very small amounts..In other words the process is of no use to anyone except for racers or those who seek to extract the last 1% of performance out of their machines.
As a parallel I offer this story.. I own a made to measure bicycle - a Marinoni, it has a front wheel with 14 spokes and a rear wheel with 16.. The spokes are oval so as to present less aerodynamic drag. The front fork, handlebars and seat post are made from carbon fibre. One day I was at my bike shop and saw carbon fibre water bottle cages so I enquired about the cost and asked how much lighter they were than alloy..The owner of the shop who had relieved my wallet of slightly more than $4500.00 for the bicycle laughed at my request and suggested that I save my money and go to the bathroom before going for a ride because the performance increase due to lower weight would be easier to measure and also greater..
And so it is with plug indexing..Max and Davidd know and rightly care about it..

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Smoke and mirrors all closely aligned to the "racers edge" . If you want to WIN you just got to try it!

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I own a made to measure bicycle - a Marinoni, The spokes are oval... The front fork, handlebars and seat post are made from carbon fibre. ... slightly more than $4500.00 for the bicycle
The 19th century British physicist Lord Kelvin had something to say about your bicycle: "Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and fancy women."

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Lol, that is absolutely true...I wanted a bicycle that allowed me no excuses..

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Ill stick to a fire fly (If I could find one :)) I must stay true to the vow I made on the top of the Chilterns on the way home, the day before my 16th Birthday: "No more short trousers, and No more push bikes"

Status
Not open for further replies.