sparkplug indexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Light travels at 186,282.4 miles per second or 299,792,485 meters/seconds, for simplicity, it is often said that these numbers are 186,000 miles a second.
YOU have quoted several times that light travels at the 186, ooo figure , I DOES NOT ,which I have said over and over

Cold starts require a rich mixture , the reason is pour automation, the plug relies on evaporation of the heavy fuel particles to complete the triangle necessary for ignition. The answer is yes to your question.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Look guys, this seems to be getting a bit heated. I spent 30 years running my own rolling road ( a Clayton water brake). I have tested some real hairbrained schemes ,you want to pay, I have the time. Some of the most off the wall schemes do, on occasion, work minor miracles. But they do not work universally. My pal Rob "invented" the magic spark plug, it was a blinder in some motors, but not all. Don't knock it until you have actually tried it!

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
David, not wishing to be nasty, but is that a spot of detonation I detect in the squish pockets? Also, I bet you do not run air filters.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Light travels at 186,282.4 miles per second or 299,792,485 meters/seconds, for simplicity, it is often said that these numbers are 186,000 miles a second.
YOU have quoted several times that light travels at the 186, ooo figure , I DOES NOT ,which I have said over and over.
Just to be clear, I only copied your post where you said 186,000 mile/sec. (and, unless I missed it, you only said this once, not "over and over.") I did not quote it myself because I assumed from what you wrote that you only intended it to be a rough figure. However, in your next post you continued on to write that no lab in the world could tell you that 185,999 was wrong. Any reasonable person reading this exchange would take this in context to mean you were saying no lab could tell a difference of 1 out of 186,000 for the speed of light.

At this point you were no longer writing rough figures, but were making quantitative claims about actual levels of precision in measurements. This thread is about precision in measurements, and specifically whether a dyno gives that precision to better than 1%. This is why I pointed out you were wrong, since you seemed to have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of science and of measurement. Specifically, what you wrote is wrong because labs measure the speed of light to 1 part in ~200 million. That is 1000x more precise than the 1 part in ~200,000 you maintained was better than they could do, and why you incorrectly maintained the listed value for the speed of light was little more than a guess to be taken with a grain of salt.

If indexing spark plugs provides even a 1% increase in h.p. it is worthwhile doing. If not, it's a waste of time and money. If there is credible information showing it does indeed help, I'd like to know.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Indexing sparkplugs works for some motors, for the cost of a pound(dollar) or two you would not be a racer if you didn't give it a go. The more you can put into your build the more you will get out of it. My old pal reckoned the better you feel about it the better your motor will respond.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
My old pal reckoned the better you feel about it the better your motor will respond.
Ah, that's very New Age of your old pal.

Aside from making the engine feel emotionally connected to the tuner, a very real reason for a tuner to index plugs is so he can tell the rider on the starting line that he did everything possible to give him the highest h.p. on the track, including indexing the plugs "for an extra 1% h.p." Many people respond quite positively to that sort of thing, as well as to wearing special T-shirts, carrying lucky coins, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if a study were done it would find it more likely that tuners who spend time to carefully index a plug in the hopes of 1% are also more likely to carefully do things that actually have measurable effects on the performance. Like triple checking to make sure the keepers are correctly installed on the valves.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Lookit, you appear to be up for a "fight", you tell me when you last won an Inernational race, and I 'll tell you of my success!

Status
Not open for further replies.