E: Engine Rocker Bearing

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
"Maximum speed not yet tested . . ." . These days our autobahns are very crowded or speed limits on them. Also we rarely do longer trips in the Jag in recent times and so far only once did we see 190 kph on the miles speedo for a minute or so. The rear axle is medium ratio, so ar 100 mph crank speed is 4000 rpm and the piston stroke is 106 mm. There have been unknown previous owners of the car and no way to find out about the engine use before. So we are not keen about testing any max speed, you´d need the long axle ratio. And then, these famous Jaguar speed numbers from magazines then were mainly journalists talks for selling the cars. In real life you´d have to get some very "special" engine for achieving these speeds. Even so, at higher speeds the car seems to get very light at the front, so racers added spoilers at the front for safe handling. A bit pointless today for enthusiasts and public road use, you need all of remaining brain for watching other traffic to survive. Explains why , speaking for myself, I am most of time uneasy on busy roads, in the right seat, as Helga is captain driving - does not help me much . . .

Vic

bmetcalf

VOC Member
In 2019, from Luxembourg to Munich, the autobahn was unrestricted for bit and I ran our rental small BMW up to 160 kph. Others were passing of course. It wasn't as exciting as I thought, so I slowed down. I've gone as fast on a bike.

Alyson

VOC Member
Alyson, what´s about the background ? There is Helga , with toilet paper in hand. But you do not see the toilet, it is the bike garage and we use toilet paper for cleaning most parts as it is pretty sterile , always, no collected grit like typical rags spread all around workshops. If it´s this what you are referring to ?

Vic

almost sterile Jag engine 3.8l , 1964:
View attachment 61603

View attachment 61604
Guten Tag Helga, Ich ben ein dumkopf

oexing

VOC Member
Now Alyson, what were you really thinking at first , when you looked at my photo ?? Helga coming from the loo ?
I adapted the strictly toilet paper way for cleaning precision components when I was apprentice in injection moulding business. The boss quite rightly explained any grit in old rags - which you hesitate to bin - could lead to very expensive defects when minimal operating clearances in dies plus some grit from non-sterile assembly can be the cause for decent seizures in there. The costs for repairs then easily tens of thousands of €€ , ahhm , Deutsche Marks in 70ties . . .

Vic

erik

VOC Member
But! What about going to Austria with and other bike ? My friend Stephan came with his Zündapp KS 600 and it was no problem. Erik