E: Engine Rocker Bearing

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Brian,

I think it is rare to have to disassemble the rocker bearing, but if there is nothing wrong with the parts, I would reassemble them, but I have to admit I have never done it. If you have a decent tool, it may be less awkward.

View attachment 61527

David
I do like your jig. When I did mine, I had enough of them to mix 'n match till I found the right combination to make them all work. There was
enough wiggle to get them started, then use my "eye chrometer" to make sure they were straight, them pump away on my vise (with soft
jaws). Worked out great.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
I've just replaced the rocker bearings and pins on my B. The pins are a surprisingly tight press fit, so if you mean will the old pins go back in, I'm sure they will and remain tight. I had read that the steel pins wear and the alloy bush does'nt. That proved to be the case - but I had ordered the lot , so it got the lot.
The wear on pins was quite visible, not worth replacing, it creates a lot of play at the valve collar .
Did you actually measure your new ET28 pins and the bores of your rocker arms to check the interference? My Comet came to me with a selection of new pins and rocker bearings. When I measured the pins, I discovered there were 3 sizes; .499", .500", .501" and the ones which best fitted my rockers had square ends, no chamfer, and would not fit down the rocker tunnels in the head!
Never assume that what you have purchased will correctly fit your Vincent. :)

vibrac

VOC Member
I have a rocker with a needle roller in the arm I guess the pin is intended to be fixed in the bearing....

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
Brian,

I think it is rare to have to disassemble the rocker bearing, but if there is nothing wrong with the parts, I would reassemble them, but I have to admit I have never done it. If you have a decent tool, it may be less awkward.

View attachment 61527

David
Looking at the tool you are using , when pressing the pin the load is on the bearing , the rocker needs to be supported and then the pin can be pressed

Alyson

VOC Member
Looking at the tool you are using , when pressing the pin the load is on the bearing , the rocker needs to be supported and then the pin can be pressed
are you sure ? I'm of the impression that the pin is fixed in the bearing, or, block and the rocker floats freely. Not too freely mind you. So there should be no reason to support the rocker arm whilst pressing the pin into the block/bearing as it should just pass through it. If I'm wrong, I'll take my spanking ;)