Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

STEPXL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Simon here posted is a message and photos from Greg

Hi there Stephen, here are the pictures of the steel verses a
new post war alloy hub and also the tool box showing the two holes in the
top, not sure if these are original as one appears to be and the other cut
in more recently, just need some ideas from forum members as to yes or no.
Cheers and beers..................Greg.
P1010331.jpg
P1010333.jpg
P1010334.jpg
P1010335.jpg
P1010336.jpg
P1010330.jpg
from Greg Brillus on the A Comet.

greg brillus

VOC Member
A couple of points of interest......Note the 1/4 bsf thread in the center of the hub spool for a grease nipple........I can imagine the amount of grease you would need to pump in there before it got to the bearings, past the bearings/seal straight onto the brakes.........:eek:..........You can see the center of the spool is much larger than the post war alloy item, and the limited space to fit normal 5/16 bsf locknuts, so I feel the reduced hex size nuts more common to the built up hubs is probably what it had originally..........?? Yes/no. That black face Lucas Ammeter on the bench behind was the one located in the forward hole in the top of the tool box, with a Miller light switch in the rear hole. Those in the know will notice the parts for the modified steering stem kits on the bench, with loads more to come. Cheers..............Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron said the other day, His OLD "A"s had full size wheel hubs, That the bolts went right through, From one side to the other.
Seems a better idea to me ?, Like the Engine drive side main bearing, Steel bolted to the alloy C/Case. Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I'm late to the party as usual; but just to say that I agree on all points made by Simon at #29.... The "normal" hub (alloy) used on over 95% of Series As used the reduced hex 5/16 CEI plain nuts. I have no reason to doubt that this wasn't carried-forwards to the last batch of Series As with the ferrous hubs for the simple reason larger hexagons won't fit. And just so that Bill can see a "normal" hub where the studs pass right through; here's a pair I made earlier.

P1000570.JPG

The spoke flange goes on next, then the brake drum, then the bearing housing. The latter was cast iron, but I made mine from LM25 alloy suitably heat-treated, see pic:

Peter B
Bristol, UK

P1040102.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Peter, What a Super job !, I am sure they would fit on a "C" !!, I can remember them on Ron's "A"s, He had a Proper Comet Special, But the Bronze head was cracked, So he didn't use that head, He rode that with a Sidecar and later solo, He had other Comets in bits and his Super "A" Twin !! , Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Greg, Just a thought, While the paint is stripped off the front frame down tube, Might be worth checking for cracks. When Ron had a sidecar on his Comet Special, The frame snapped !, We were going into a roundabout, Turning left, The engine dropped down, Which made the steering go straight, We came to rest in the middle of the roundabout !!. Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks for the heads up Bill, I'll have a good look around all the attachment points to see if all is ok. So far I've only had to weld a small broken lug on the left side crank case half and machine the right case and the base of the magneto housing where the two have been moving at the joint face for years, made up a shim plate to space the magneto back to the right height for correct shaft alignment.