Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Like Post war Vincents the pre war items were built to order. My A Comet had no knee pads from day one. It was a 1938 model built to almost Replica level because the factory stopped making the
Comet special and TT replica when the Twins came online. This led to a lot of variation in the specs. We all know (?) about the Series B Series A, the modified oil pump, oil return, cylinder head, cams etc.
I didn't know of the hub change but not totally surprised. There was a C Comet in Tassie that sold a couple of years ago with a complete Series A front wheel assembly.
Today I spoke to an acquaintance with a long Vincent history and told him about my '49 Shadow. When told it was an HRD with Vincent transfers his reply was Bullsh*t. No such thing as a
standard Vincent!

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I've changed a few items in Old Harry's box and use a heavy gear oil as I don't like grease for this sort of application, Alton alternators & angle grinders,hand drill gearboxes always strip them and add oil. Three bikes with double speed Alton's and never stripped a nylon gear yet as all filled with oil.
The Square Four Speed-o drive, plug I removed and fitted a dip stick dolly-ing it up with a club badge. and easier to fill than the other location. Using it frequently it's got to be practical for me, as it's checked more easily, one can't see Jack Sh-1-t through the large screw cap.
bananaman.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I see your point, try checking same on a Square four and you'll need eyes on the end of a small stick. Probably easier on a single, though I generally use Penrite semi-fluid grease in these types, and dead easy to fill with a good sized hand pump and a short length of transparent flexible tube. Not a pot or stove in sight.

STEPXL

VOC Member
Gents was going to upload a file [pictures] of the 1939 Series A Greg is restoring, But get this message the file was only 200 KB. Administrator please advise.
The following error occurred
There was a problem uploading your file.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Gents was going to upload a file [pictures] of the 1939 Series A Greg is restoring, But get this message the file was only 200 KB. Administrator please advise.
The following error occurred
There was a problem uploading your file.
Did you try dragging and dropping your file onto your post?

STEPXL

VOC Member
Dear Big Ed that worked a treat.
Anyway gents please see some pictures of our 1939 Series A that Greg Brillus is restoring. Ignore the post war front wheel its only placed in forks to move it around the workshop, The Comet once belonged to Marty Dickersen

P1010292.jpg
P1010295.jpg
P1010296.jpg
P1010298.jpg
P1010301.jpg
P1010302.jpg
P1010307.jpg
P1010313.jpg
P1010314.jpg