Restoring the last of the series "A" Comets.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the pic Robert, My email is feelinggreat01@bigpond.com Would you or someone have a picture of a genuine lower one, as this is the one that I think is just a piece of flat bar, but the long center section has a rib pressed into its center to give it more strength. I might even see if we could machine some up from a larger section of flat bar and just machine the groove into it......I will ask my machinist tomorrow. I have allowed enough of the brass ferrules to supply full sets for 6 singles and 2 twins, and/or a combination of both types, and we can go from there. I will keep everyone informed on here as to how things progress and if i do get extra parts made up I can advise as to what they are and if any extras can help others with their projects. At this point it would also be most helpful if someone could supply my with the width and depth dimensions of a genuine front guard, you would need to hold a straight edge across the bottom of the guard and measure the depth of the arc how it wraps around the sides of the front tire. My guess is it is going to be around 45 plus mm in height and the guard will be about 4 to 4.250" wide in section. Cheers............Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg
I have never seen a lower headlight bracket with a rib pressed in it. They appear to be just std flat bar. The weight of a headlight isn't that much and the top brackets which incorporate the speedo / 8 day clock mounting are fairly substantial. In saying that series A's appear to use whatever was available at the time.
Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks Simon, you may be correct...I was only going off what Neal Videan had told me about the lower headlight brackets. When he was producing the replica ones for the batch of new twins he and Rodney made, he told me that this was how they were, and that it was probably too much trouble to go to for such a small part........I am pretty fussy. I have just emailed "Vintage Steel" about the reproduction steel mudguards and sent them a heap of pictures, so some section specs on an original front guard would be very handy, just the width and depth of the "C" section is all we need.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Greg,
I've been measuring! Here's some info on a set of what are alleged to be Series A original guards - on loan from someone who most certainly should know:

FRONT
End to end over the top the long way round: 42"
End to end in a straight line: 29"
C Section: - Depth 2-5/8" in the middle of guard, 2-3/8" nearer ends. Say 2-1/2" nominal.
- Width 4-3/4" towards the middle of guard, 5-1/4" nearer ends. Say 5" nominal - which is Brampton width.
(Clearly, this guard has been tweaked about somewhat in its 80 year life...).

REAR
End to end over the top the long way round: 52"
End to end in a straight line: 29"
C Section: - Depth 2-1/2" in the middle of guard, 2-5/8" nearer ends. Say 2-1/2" nominal.
- Width 5" towards the middle of guard, 5-3/8" nearer ends. Say 5-1/8" nominal - which is RFM width.
(Clearly, this guard too has been tweaked about somewhat in its 80 year life...).
By the way, instead of a 'flat' for the chain guard the entire area is cut-away and rolled inwards around the edges. The cutaway piece would be approx 1-3/8" wide x 8" long - the last 1-1/4" at the top tapering back in a curve to the original rolled dimension. I've seen several like this.
When Auto-Cycle made Robert's batch of rear guards they made the straight line end to end dimension 28-1/2" instead of 29". By pulling out the ends and squeezing the 5" width down a tad, we managed to get the 29" - but more would be preferable to allow plenty of rear wheel fore/aft adjustment. I would aim for 29-1/2"; but clearly the max must not be more than the rear stand length (to centre of pivot holes) plus the RFM length (ditto). And guess what - rear stand lengths vary a lot!

Regards, Peter B

A_HRD

VOC Member
Greg,

Here are some h/lamp bracket photos. Note: most A's had only one of the curvy brackets (RHS - unless the customer opted for the optional extra of a clock or a rev-counter - to fit on the left). In which case, a simple strip bracket was used on the LHS. The curvy one in the photos is a RH one and suspected original. The strip brackets are new ones I made from original patterns. I'm with Simon regarding the scalloped headlamp brackets - never seen them. But I have seen them used for front mudguard stays - particularly on the earlier models.

Ask if you want dimensions...

Peter B

P1070584.JPG
P1070586.JPG
P1070587.JPG
P1070588.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
Wow, Thanks Peter......All that info is great, and i will forward on your specs about the guards to Vintage steel and this will go a long way toward some accurate replicas. Like you say the lower headlight brackets are just plain flat bar steel......something on a Vincent that is easy to make.......!! I am still chasing a rear stand, although i could make one if i have to. Is the clip assembly that holds the rear stand to the rear guard readily available....? Cheers...........Greg.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Wow, Thanks Peter......All that info is great, and i will forward on your specs about the guards to Vintage steel and this will go a long way toward some accurate replicas. Like you say the lower headlight brackets are just plain flat bar steel......something on a Vincent that is easy to make.......!! I am still chasing a rear stand, although i could make one if i have to. Is the clip assembly that holds the rear stand to the rear guard readily available....? Cheers...........Greg.

I have seen the clips from that guy in the Czech republic ( I think) Somer sent me the link to them several years ago to see if they were the same as my original one, and they certainly appeared to be.
http://www.vintage-replica.cz/293.E.htm
I think the item b on the page

I made a new rear stand but still have the bent, twisted, mangled original.

Dinny

VOC Member
Hi Greg,

Well I'm pleased I asked about headlight brackets, loads of great info. I got my stand clip as below which is the same as the one Robert mentioned. I'm looking for the two top brackets with clock and speedo mounts but they look like they can be made.

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index.php?language=en&site=4&pid=413&id=18902&limit=30

I also got some original type mag and air levers from the same company, expensive but the correct early style.

Definitely put me down for a set of Comet oil/fuel ferrules.

Thanks
Mark

Dinny

VOC Member
I would also be more than happy to take a set of ferrules off you Greg, I have a original chain guard that is damaged and a friend is making me two copies, anyone need?

Hi Andy,

I have a much abused chainguard, what would you be looking at pricewise with shipping to NV USA for one of your copies. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks
Mark