craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
RedrillLower1.jpg

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig has spotted what I have just been studying in your photographs. Drilling the holes where Craig has indicated will lower it a bit, just check that the mudguard doesn't hit the seat base on full bump.

nigsey

VOC Member
Can't be sure, But yours look like the petteford long springs,
Unless you have a Hillsy stand and the rear is lifted ?

Funny how everybody wants them standard now, In the old days we could not wait to ,
Make them look different, It gives me a Kick to know there is not another like mine,
Guess I am the odd one out !.
Good Luck, Bill.
Hello Bill, yes I’ve have recently fitted a Dave Hills stand, shame but I’d have done myself or the bike a mischief. Therefore, the boxes in my photo could be giving a false impression of spring lengths. I guess I could remove a box and measure the spring.

nigsey

VOC Member
Thanks Craig, it’s a great idea. The only slight problem I can see is that the front of the seat is already touching the tank bolts, so I’m not sure if it would go any lower. The only way out of that is to make new angled brackets that take the seat away from the tank slightly, not impossible though.

nigsey

VOC Member
Nigsey
The springboxes in your photo in post 19 show a lot of exposed inner chrome springbox. I think you could have the longer than standard rear springs fitted which could be jacking the rear of the bike up. Here is a photo of my Shadow rear springboxes which I know are standard solo springs and so look how much less inner springbox is visible.
Simon
View attachment 39359
Bill, Is it my imagination or do your black sleeves look longer than mine, I guess it’s probably the former.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks Craig, it’s a great idea. The only slight problem I can see is that the front of the seat is already touching the tank bolts, so I’m not sure if it would go any lower. The only way out of that is to make new angled brackets that take the seat away from the tank slightly, not impossible though.
It will not normally cause a problem, the tank bolts just indent into the seat foam a little, but not enough to tear the seat fabric, I have done this for years now without any problems, when you occasionally have to remove the seat you will see how it takes on the shape of the bolt heads etc.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Bill, Is it my imagination or do your black sleeves look longer than mine, I guess it’s probably the former.
If this helps I have just gone and measured the total length of the springboxes on two bikes and this is with the bikes sat upright on both wheels and not using any stands so the weight of the bike is on the springs. Both bikes have standard length solo springs.

Series C twin: 6-1/2"
Series B twin: 6- 5/8"
I modified your photo to show what I was measuring.

Simon
508B1EA8-2DBB-49D7-93D2-8B915D4B5C1F.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think you are talking about Simons ?.

Don't forget any Mod' on the suspension will mess up the Dave Hills stand,
If it works nice now, You will have to add or take off a bit of the legs,
When they are the right length, The stand works with out you straining, Super !.

craig

VOC Member
If this helps I have just gone and measured the total length of the springboxes on two bikes and this is with the bikes sat upright on both wheels and not using any stands so the weight of the bike is on the springs. Both bikes have standard length solo springs.
Series C twin: 6-1/2"
Series B twin: 6- 5/8"
Simon
Series C Comet solo springboxes, up on stock Vincent rear stand: 6- 3/4".

Last edited: