Misc: Everything Else Rapide Seat Lowering

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well TouringComet that solution certainly works but I’d like to stick to the more classic look if at all possible. Many thanks for taking the time to reply though.

nigsey

VOC Member
The bike I bought had the springs and damper mounted on the sidecar mount, which was slotted to take the damper.

View attachment 39354

Several years later I built a coil-over, which allowed me to remove the springs on either side, but the seat was the same very low height.

View attachment 39355

So the seat is mounted well below the bottom of the tank. You don't have to cut the mounts off. That was done by John Renwick, the previous owner. Thus, the lone mount remaining is the sidecar mount, which is the lowest mount on the UFM. For a stock bike, you would have to design it all to work with the existing wheel clearance, etc, but it requires a lot of design and fabrication, which can be avoided by simply lowering the foam. On this racer, both methods were used.

David

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Nigsey
The springboxes in your photo in post 19 show a lot of exposed inner chrome springbox. I think you could have the longer than standard rear springs fitted which could be jacking the rear of the bike up. Here is a photo of my Shadow rear springboxes which I know are standard solo springs and so look how much less inner springbox is visible.
Simon
IMG_3077 - Copy.jpg

nigsey

VOC Member
Many thanks davidd, I love the look at the racer but I somehow need to get my wife’s bum on there too otherwise it wouldn’t go down well. Hoping to lower the seat without making alterations to the frame although I appreciate it may not be possible.

nigsey

VOC Member
Obviously suggested in jest, but there is a similar possible solution from Daytona Boots, it depends how much money you want to throw at it, and if you like your Vincent just the way you have it set up now and are reluctant to change anything. The Daytona M-Star GTX is in essence a Road Star, my favourite boot, but with an almost indecernable raised heel and sole, but they will cost you £350.00 approx +or- a bit. I have recently purchased a pair to overcome the short of stature problem, and with the limited opportunity I have had for riding this year I cannot really say exactly how successful my experiment has been, I definitely feel safer when stationary with my feet down, the only unforeseen snag I have encountered is the increased thickness of the sole means that you have to be able to flex your ankle more than previously to either get above or below the gear change lever to change gear. I only purchased my boots late on this year, since then Covid and the weather means the bikes have not been out much.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can't be sure, But yours look like the petteford long springs,
Unless you have a Hillsy stand and the rear is lifted ?

Funny how everybody wants them standard now, In the old days we could not wait to ,
Make them look different, It gives me a Kick to know there is not another like mine,
Guess I am the odd one out !.
Good Luck, Bill.

nigsey

VOC Member
Many thanks for your reply bmetcalf and for the link, I didn’t know about that, I’ll certainly make some enquiries.

nigsey

VOC Member
Yes it was taken in good humour that kind you Peter. Seriously though, thicker soled boots is certainly something to consider, every little helps.

nigsey

VOC Member
Hello Nigsey,
As David has said, looking at the seat upholstery should be the first and easiest area to look at. Talk to someone who does seat work in your area and they will probably have done this type of work many times using thinner or different types of foam. Thin gel pads are often used that help spread the load. I did a Google search for people doing seatwork in Northumberland and it came up with several possibilities:
Motorcycle seat upholstery near Northumberland