Misc: Everything Else Rapide Seat Lowering

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I recently bought a C Rapide but the seat height is a little too high for me, or rather my legs are too short. I can manage with it but I would be more comfortable/confident if I could reduce the height by a couple of inches. I’ve adjusted the rear spring boxes as far as they will go but still need to get it lower. I’ve been toying with the idea of stripping off the seat cover and slicing up to a couple of inches off the bottom of the foam myself but not sure how difficult or successful this would be or if I’d ruin it or spoil the shape. Can anyone advise me please or tell me of someone who could do this professionally?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can we have a photo ?, A lot of us fitted the petteford long rear springs,
If yours have those it would be easy to change to standard ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just a thought, Don't know how handy you are, Or if you know someone with a "D" seat ?,
I think they are not as deep ? as a "C" seat, Maybe won't be as comfortable ?,
But nor will a cut down "C" ?, Needs Must !.

I grafted "C" fittings on this, But I also padded the foam out a bit, So mine is deeper than a standard "D" seat.
Some "C" seats are deeper than others ?.

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_081723 (3).jpg
    IMG_20200804_081723 (3).jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
I think your instincts may be good. I would look at the seat first. If you can get someone to cut a 2" of foam off the bottom of the squab and replace it with 1" of high-density foam you may get a seat that you can live with. Someone should be able to do it keeping the original upholstery.

You can lower the seat mechanically, but it is a complicated job. You can lower the springs, shocks and seat to the sidecar mounting hole, but there are lots of other mods that are required. Additionally, the pegs are quite high and you will end up "frog legged." I would look at the seat first.

David

Denny653

VOC Member
I have similar concerns. I had a beautiful BMW R90S for 15 years and put 400 miles on it. The seat height was just high enough to make it uncomfortable for me. I rode a Rapide last summer that had padding removed from the seat and I really liked it. A couple of hours of riding and it was fine for me. The seat on my bike is too nice cut up. I would be interested in another seat if someone in the US had one to sell.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think your instincts may be good. I would look at the seat first. If you can get someone to cut a 2" of foam off the bottom of the squab and replace it with 1" of high-density foam you may get a seat that you can live with. Someone should be able to do it keeping the original upholstery.

David
Hello Nigsey,
As David has said, looking at the seat upholstery should be the first and easiest area to look at. Talk to someone who does seat work in your area and they will probably have done this type of work many times using thinner or different types of foam. Thin gel pads are often used that help spread the load. I did a Google search for people doing seatwork in Northumberland and it came up with several possibilities:
Motorcycle seat upholstery near Northumberland

vibrac

VOC Member
I cut the height of the seat down on my VOCS extended length seat to the same height of my standard one (professionally done) it was better but in all honesty the standard seat seems too high as well nowadays pondering on it I surmise that the coil over AVO is my real culprit, I hesitate to change its excellent characteristics so I wonder bearing in mind the AVO slimmer profile and lack of spring boxes if I can reduce the height of my front seat supports (fully sprung seat) I suppose I must wait for space flat ground and warmer weather

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes it's much more easy with the coil over unit, Like a "D",
You can bring the seat back and down, With brackets,
With the "C", The spring boxes get in the way.
Look at my photo 5.