Misc: Everything Else Rapide Seat Lowering

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
......... if I can reduce the height of my front seat supports (fully sprung seat) I suppose I must wait for space flat ground and warmer weather
Something I've been thinking about too as although I have long legs my hip joints keep telling me that I'm not as flexible as I used to be. a lower seat would also make it easier for my wife to "leap" aboard.;)
I have an AVO mono-shock on the back and a fully sprung seat. I wouldn't want to give up the comfort and better handling that that setup gives. Shortening the seat stays would help but the limiting factor is the rear guard hitting the cutout in the seat base. I have it adjust so it just doesn't touch on full bump. More travel more comfort but a higher seat. Like many things in life, it is finding the best compromise.

Davidd says: "You can lower the seat mechanically, but it is a complicated job" so that is something to look at next. Some initial thoughts: - Move the guard closer to the wheel as long as there is still some clearance for tyre growth and maybe see if the cutout in the bottom of the seat could be sunk in a little more without compromising passenger comfort. Neither of these would lower the height much but every little helps.

Bills suggestion wouldn't work for me as I have also got the long seat that my wife really likes. I've lost her of the back once even with the long seat!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Cuban Heels?
Obviously suggested in jest, but there is a similar possible solution from Daytona Boots, it depends how much money you want to throw at it, and if you like your Vincent just the way you have it set up now and are reluctant to change anything. The Daytona M-Star GTX is in essence a Road Star, my favourite boot, but with an almost indecernable raised heel and sole, but they will cost you £350.00 approx +or- a bit. I have recently purchased a pair to overcome the short of stature problem, and with the limited opportunity I have had for riding this year I cannot really say exactly how successful my experiment has been, I definitely feel safer when stationary with my feet down, the only unforeseen snag I have encountered is the increased thickness of the sole means that you have to be able to flex your ankle more than previously to either get above or below the gear change lever to change gear. I only purchased my boots late on this year, since then Covid and the weather means the bikes have not been out much.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Peter did you ever get a photo of Tony Wheatley's seat ?,
He did a big cut down after a few slow falls.
No, I don't recall having ever seen it, but I have reduced the seat foam height on my long club seat, and also re drilled the front mount lowering it as much as I can, also reduced the rear mount height as much as possible (with a fully sprung frame) so much so that the carrier dented the mudguard a little, but it is only a stainless guard, hardly noticeable, been like it for years, and will stay like it.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
No, I don't recall having ever seen it, but I have reduced the seat foam height on my long club seat, and also re drilled the front mount lowering it as much as I can, also reduced the rear mount height as much as possible (with a fully sprung frame) so much so that the carrier dented the mudguard a little, but it is only a stainless guard, hardly noticeable, been like it for years, and will stay like it.
There is a photo of Tony's in the random photos at the top of the page, But not found it yet,
I think it has a big white fairing ?.

davidd

VOC Member
The bike I bought had the springs and damper mounted on the sidecar mount, which was slotted to take the damper.

AHRMA 007_edited-1 (2).jpg

Several years later I built a coil-over, which allowed me to remove the springs on either side, but the seat was the same very low height.

100_1125.jpg

So the seat is mounted well below the bottom of the tank. You don't have to cut the mounts off. That was done by John Renwick, the previous owner. Thus, the lone mount remaining is the sidecar mount, which is the lowest mount on the UFM. For a stock bike, you would have to design it all to work with the existing wheel clearance, etc, but it requires a lot of design and fabrication, which can be avoided by simply lowering the foam. On this racer, both methods were used.

David

nigsey

VOC Member
Can we have a photo ?, A lot of us fitted the petteford long rear springs,
If yours have those it would be easy to change to standard ?
Many thanks Bill, photos Attached as requested. I really like the shape of my seat and would be very reluctant to change it for something less shapely. If it’s not possible to reduce the foam thickness or to reduce the height without losing that classic shape at the top of the seat then I’d prefer to leave it as it is and try and manage with it. I guess I want my cake and eat it!

Attachments

• 508B1EA8-2DBB-49D7-93D2-8B915D4B5C1F.jpeg
    508B1EA8-2DBB-49D7-93D2-8B915D4B5C1F.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 41
  • B2BB8DD2-7209-40F2-B30F-049ABDEADBCE.jpeg
    B2BB8DD2-7209-40F2-B30F-049ABDEADBCE.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 39
  • D38660BC-DA84-439B-BB03-CE0051C9CE60.jpeg
    D38660BC-DA84-439B-BB03-CE0051C9CE60.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 39