Rapide/ Black Shadow wanted.

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
with the focus on matching bikes.......in more recent times more a thing for the investors, actual riders probably don't fuss about it so much.......
Provenance is part of that but the extent of its importance varies between different enthusiasts.
I'm an actual rider but, for me, there's an indeterminable extra pleasure in having matching numbers bikes. I have quite a few motorcycles, all but one of which have matching numbers. However, there aren't enough words in use to cover all situations. Mine commonly would be called a "collection," but I've "acquired" all of them rather than "collected" any of them. A "collection" should have some theme that connects them (all models of Vincents; all models of BSA made a given year; one each from major British factories; etc.), and the only theme connecting mine is that I acquired them. I have a collection of motorcycle books, but an accumulation of motorcycles.

vibrac

VOC Member

None of us would probably ride old bikes if it were just about the riding.

My thoughts. M
Lets think about that
Low height,Low weight, understandable mechanics, maintain yourself for about 90% of all jobs, no depreciation, no road tax, better insurance rates, easily reach speed limit, no MOT, no clean air Zone cost, plenty of spares, better suspension than yesteryear, at stops meet lots of interested people
Pass me that brand new Vincent engine, The GS can stay in the garage

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Low height,Low weight, understandable mechanics, maintain yourself for about 90% of all jobs, no depreciation, no road tax, better insurance rates, easily reach speed limit, no MOT, no clean air Zone cost, plenty of spares, better suspension than yesteryear, at stops meet lots of interested people
All quite logical and rational reasons. Hands up if your reasons for riding motorcycles are logical and rational...

LoneStar

VOC Member
On the pragmatic front, not sure a Vincent at $35K would come out ahead of a 10-year-old low-mileage bike, easily found for $6000 or less. Probably the Vincent escapes more UK bureaucracy, but the alternative would not depreciate much nor need much maintenance - and it would likely perform better. But of course pragmatism isn't everything...

Denny653

VOC Member
Why would one have to have a matching numbers bike? I happen to own one but didn't know it was matching numbers at the time I bought it, and didn't know there was such a thing. There are plenty of machines without matching numbers that I fell confident will run just as well as the matching numbers bikes. The matching numbers bikes will have the same oil leaks, same clutch problems as one that has been assembled from parts. There are so many fabulous re-manufactured parts available today that this quarter couldn't give a hoot whether the numbers on a machine match or not Someone in the UK 'discovered' the number to my machine, built a 'clone' and passed it off as a matching numbers bike and the buyer found out about the ruse and I believe the case is now headed to court. Then again, I don't doubt the clone is just as good a machine as mine and it seems a shame a builder would break the law for a few dollars more. Of course I feel sorry for the buyer and have provided photos of my numbers to aid in the prosecution of the fool who scammed the buyer.
Hello, Carl,

My Shadow does not have the original UFM. The rear frame is, I believe, correct to the engine. I never gave a thought to matching numbers when I bought my bike. Although it was a beauty when I bought it, it had a lot of issues. The big name restoration guys worked on it over the years including Texas and Canada.
I have a huge folder of receipts. I finally got it finished with the help of a member of the Lake Erie Chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. I also had him install an electric start. It is now a happy motorcycle. Starts and runs great. And the matching numbers? When I am on the road people that know say, "Wow! A Black Shadow!". No one has EVER asked me about the numbers.

vibrac

VOC Member
On the pragmatic front, not sure a Vincent at $35K would come out ahead of a 10-year-old low-mileage bike, easily found for $6000 or less. Probably the Vincent escapes more UK bureaucracy, but the alternative would not depreciate much nor need much maintenance - and it would likely perform better. But of course pragmatism isn't everything...
Ah but remove matching numbers and some bling and we are looking at a lot less that 35K plus when that 10 year low mileage bike goes wrong like they all do I think fixing a Vincent is an easier task as is getting spares

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Lets not kid ourselves, unless you are a very capable engineer and have the knowledge and the machinery to rectify mechanical ailments accrued over the last 75 years, then owning and riding, and that is the important bit, riding, a Vincent is definitely not a cheaper alternative to owning a modern motorcycle. Having said that, if you want to purchase one with a view to yourself and other people just looking at it as a static display, then that might have been economically viable once, but maybe not any longer.

Last edited:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Lots of nice bikes for sale across the UK at the moment and not many buyers.
Bonhams Sale at Stafford this weekend will be very interesting, some very desirable investment wise Vincents set for sale.
If I was running a book on it:
Lightning 80k no sale
A Twin 150k no sale
There are some Vincent bits and bobs/project bikes no reserve bikes under the hammer don't bid on these please.

He He