E: Engine Oil Viscosity

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had a funny one the other day, My Honda car should run on Piss !, And it has piston slap at 75,000 miles, So I wanted something a bit thicker, I bought some oil from a motor trader and had to sign a form to say I was putting the wrong oil in it !!. Cheers Bill.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Geeezzz..........talk about you lot getting carried away........It's just oil for god sake, not Blood. It was just a simple exercise explaining the virtues of using a lower viscosity oil and the noticeable reduction in drag on the internals, therefore making the bike much easier to start.
Greg, I'm lucky enough to have remembered a few gems from P.E.I. Someone asked him years ago about the benefits of additives-S.T.P. was being touted around at the time. His reply was as usual memorable, terse and pointed." Mouse milk, not much of it, bloody hard to get and of questionable benefit!" I only mentioned the Valvoline Diesel because it was O.K. for my needs (Comets and good knees, available and bloody cheap at the time.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Charlie, Sorry i wasn't having a dig at you, it was more the talk about oil's and zinc parts per million, which is all fine and dandy. But as I said, more about the affect of how using a heavier weight oil made my bike quite difficult to start. I could't be happier with it now.......when I fired it up the other day it started first kick, and when I checked in the fuel tank it was "Bone dry" so how good is that.............;)

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
so i learn from here that its nice to put in a diesel oil iso 10-40 or 30
as it contains high presure additives.

but how do i get the black sooth in?

timetraveller

VOC Member
You don't have to Vincent. It is one of natures great miracles. Just use the bike and the black sooth (soot) just appears from nowhere. Many religious prophets could have made this into one of their regular demonstrations of divine power!!

poor1

Non-VOC Member
Just spoken to Opie Oils who market Miller and they say that they would not recommend a multi grade oil unless the engine has been newly rebuilt (clean) or has a a proper filtration system because it would pick up residues in an engine which has not been rebuilt (dirty). They recommend a straight 40 mineral oil called Millerol. They were of the view that a straight '30' would not have sufficient viscosity for an air cooled engine and therefore would opt for the '40'.
Seems common sense advice without getting too technical.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just spoken to Opie Oils who market Miller and they say that they would not recommend a multi grade oil unless the engine has been newly rebuilt (clean) or has a a proper filtration system because it would pick up residues in an engine which has not been rebuilt (dirty). They recommend a straight 40 mineral oil called Millerol. They were of the view that a straight '30' would not have sufficient viscosity for an air cooled engine and therefore would opt for the '40'.
Seems common sense advice without getting too technical.
I like that, But if you ride when it gets colder, Which can be over night in UK !!, Even in Summer, 40 could be a bit thick. Cheers Bill.