E: Engine Oil Viscosity

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Filtrate was the oil used by Tony rose in his 100,000 mile run and I believe mobile oil was used in the '24' hour attempt

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I will rephrase my question what make of zddp is on sale in UK?
It would seem if available it would reduce hand wringing at the garage
Penrite oils (Made in Australia) who produce a great range of high level zddp oils can be purchased throughout the UK and Europe. Here is a link to their distributor locations http://www.penriteoil.com.au/locator?start=Retail . And this is a link to their full catalogue that also is a wealth of technical data on oils http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product-catalogue and no - I do not have a commercial interest

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Basically the long chain polymers that make up the high viscosity factors break down ( chopped up) because the oil never gets to its operating temperature. Oil designed for engines is wanting the oil temperature to reach a certain temperature for it to become a lubricant that puts a film between the surfaces. That temperature is in the region of 170 F. Until it gets to that temperature damage is being done. When did your oil get past 50 F ?
Years ago when I did a temperature check on all bikes turning up at a Liphook meet, I had a page full of figures quoting Oil used, distance traveled to meet, bike capacity twin/single.air temperature. Next day spoke with Filtrate told them what I had found, and asked for a recommendation of oil to be used, the answer `Straight 10.
If anyone asks me what I use, it`s 10-30 diesel.
My experience of riding in high temps, (1oo F) I found I could still dip my finger in the tank without burning. Try that in your car after ten miles.
For Australian readers. Valvoline 10/30 Diesel was on special at Supercheap Autos last week. 10 litres for $36. API CH4/SJ. PEI used to recommend Castrol GTX "because it makes a mess". Apparently Castrol have reduced the amount of Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate in GTX nowadays. Still seems OK, though, haven't touched the tappets in ages.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
For Australian readers. Valvoline 10/30 Diesel was on special at Supercheap Autos last week. 10 litres for $36. API CH4/SJ. PEI used to recommend Castrol GTX "because it makes a mess". Apparently Castrol have reduced the amount of Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate in GTX nowadays. Still seems OK, though, haven't touched the tappets in ages.
According to the Valvoline web site the ONLY oil they sell that has (an unidentified amount of) zddp in it is their VR1 10W-40 Race oil

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The VR1 20-50 shows it contains zddp on the bottle
Amended information, it was Valvoline 15w/40 Super Diesel and it contains 11ppm of ZDDP

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
The circumference of 1" pin is 0.785". The circumference of a 1.5" bore is 1.767". Any 1/4" rollers in there have to skid sometime. Cheers, Stu.
I have heard this idea before about the circumference the pin and the outer race being different as the reason for skidding of the rollers. That has nothing to do with it at all!! The rollers are free to rotate around there own axis and also around the axis of the crank pin. The rollers orbit around the axis of the crank pin in order so there will be little skidding. If the cage was somehow locked to the outer race or the pin then the differences between those diameters would make a huge difference and the whole system probably wouldn't work at all. Also synthetic oil works fine. I have used Amsoil synthetic vee twin oil in lots of my bikes for years. I does have more tendency to leak out.