norvin

Rocket3

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Jim, Putting a 5 speed in won't help! you will only have an extra gear to miss! When you have mastered the PM thingy drop me a line as I might be able to help.

Rocket3

VOC Member
Hi Phelps, You will be pleased to hear that i have managed to move the engine over slightly just enough to get the front carb in, im now thinking of fitting some GP carbs with a remote float bowl which may also help, what type of carbs have you on your racer?
R3

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Jim,
Could we have your address please, a couple of friends and I would like to assist in cutting bits off. :)

John Jones

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've been watching the ebay auction for the 5 speed box with interest.
I once put a Nova 5 speed cluster in a BSA RGS RRT2 and it transformed the bike. The gearbox became smooth and positive and the bike feels twice as fast.
Top was set up as an overdrive and the bike is now capable of a real world ton. Not easy on a 50 year old A10.

Before I put in a bid on this one for the Norvin I spoke to Quaife who put me in touch with John Surtees company Sports Power Ltd, who still market the cluster, supply Godet for his Eglis, have them in stock and have supplied me one for £1324.

The one on ebay- inc sprocket and new cover sold for over £2500!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I think the reason alan had problems getting input from norvin owners is that firstly there aren't really that many of us compared to standard vincent owners.Secondly having thrown away everything but the engine,fitted decent electrics,ignition,carbs,brakes and suspension we have nothing left to moan about.
Happy Norvining. Chris Launders.

vibrac

VOC Member
have supplied me one for £1324.

The one on ebay- inc sprocket and new cover sold for over £2500!

Those who buy on ebay without shopping round and comparing costs are going to save the economy .who said fools are not some use?

On the subject of 5 speeds I found the best point about it was that its about the only way to get a high bottom gear that you can actually use for more than 5 nano seconds pulling away. I get a little tired of a 3 speed twin. Anyway the 5 speeds went into the Egli racer so Im back again to sidecar gearing in first like the rest of you.

jim burgess

VOC Member
All that stuff that comes of the Vincent and the Norton makes for concrete reinforcing under the patio...
Cheers
Jim
I think the reason alan had problems getting input from norvin owners is that firstly there aren't really that many of us compared to standard vincent owners.Secondly having thrown away everything but the engine,fitted decent electrics,ignition,carbs,brakes and suspension we have nothing left to moan about.
Happy Norvining. Chris Launders.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Don´t be crasy! Use Concentric Mk1 carbs - they are the smallest re inlet diameter and leave fins, where they are. I had to use 32mm- Concentrics, which are considerably higher and larger than the std 1 1/8" ones. Also me, I had to enlarge the tanks underside cut-outs for the bigger carbs. At first, I would not tune the Vincent twin for use in the Norton frame, but if you have 36mm inlet channels, like me, the largest carb size on the front cyl. is a 32mm Concentric. My oiltank is std. Norton Atlas, set back, as far
as possible to leave space for the 19" rear wheel. Gel battery under engine between frame tubes. Unsolved problem on my bike is the right leg being always in contact with the std. kick starter lever. The original foot position of the std. Vincent riding position is far to far forward, and the easiest position on the Atlas frame is a bit to far back!
Also the roadholder, being like new inside and out is quite poor in damping and springing, compared to the Girdraulics! Although, riding it, it does not feel that bad, as it twists sideways, when you hold the wheel between yr legs and twist the handlebars left and right for 1 - 2 inches, easily! It was probably good for
a 100kgs-racebike in those days, but not on a Norvin without mayor changes!
But finally I think, a bike, as goodlooking as a Norvin, must possibly be rideable as well after some headscratching!
Good luck!