New (?) Comet Engine Noise

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9712/title/img-0021/cat/851

Just be sure NOT to use an INA bearing, for reasons shown. This one was from a Comet, I can show another from a Twin.

Back in 1999, I bought an Alpha crankpin and 40mm. INA needle roller bearings from Ron Kemp. INA supplied the bearings with a standard finish on the cages or, for a small extra charge, silver plated for use in big ends. Ron said the silver plating was unnecessary and normally supplied the standard finish.....INA's technical department said it was essential!

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What is it about tuning that you can't master yourself ? Ask away . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
About the Tweak piece . Will try to find it . Have you looked in Fourty years on ? Sid .

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
What is it about tuning that you can't master yourself ? Ask away . Sid .

when one reads the AMAL tuning guide it tells you what to di if the tune is too rich or too lean at various throttle openings. The real issue however is identifing the state of tune (rich/OK/lean) at various openings so you know what to alter or leave alone.

I do not psess the skills to identify those states, so I figured a dyno and exhausr gas analysis could make the exercise a bit simpler (though more $$) for a new chum like me.

BTW Yesterday pressed the liner from the muff and found that the fit was poor - so today a new liner and muff was added to the ever growing list!

M

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Sometimes a muff can be bored for an oversize liner, but a new one may retain its grip longer and may be cheaper.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Will those having problems with their original carbs or later Concentrics please contact me directly , need your E address to reply .
I can usually assist . Sid .

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Muff not gripping liner thereby causing lack of heat transfer and/or ovality of liner a much more likely cause of piston scuffing than "washdown"- and your machine was not running noticeably rich when I rode it. Re-use your existing piston and rings with new liner bored by someone competent to .005 bottom skirt clearance-works for me!Also machine liner to snug fit in crankcase mouth. Why did you press out the liner- did you have a roast in the oven?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Martyn, If you put a new Muff on your self, Be sure to put a heavy weight on the Muff as it cools down, Or it will walk out a few thou' and you will be able to get your thumb nail between liner and muff, Then you won't be able to grind head to barrel, This I had after a top Vin repairer did mine !! Good Luck, Bill.