New (?) Comet Engine Noise

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
With a caged roller big end , the most common , Alpha etc , there is barely any movement discernible from side to side and certainly no up and down if the assembly is not damaged or worn . No more than the oil film allows because only a close working clearance exists , and to permit assembly . Sid .

clevtrev

VOC Member
With a caged roller big end , the most common , Alpha etc , there is barely any movement discernible from side to side and certainly no up and down if the assembly is not damaged or worn . No more than the oil film allows because only a close working clearance exists , and to permit assembly . Sid .
There will be no difference in either case, because the support given by the rollers is approx. the same length, in fact the original is a bit longer. I`ll check out the actual dimensions tomorrow. A rough guess gives Alpha .562" total length of roller, standard Vincent .750 between the two outer spacers, but I`ll double check that. So you can see that the standard set up is less likely to tilt.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
So you say . The original tiny loose needle rollers do allow the rod to rock a wee bit to the sides . Felt it in my own in 54 .
Where were you ? Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clevtrev

VOC Member
The figures I gave, tally up, but ultimately the side rock is controlled by the amount of end float of the rod on the pin.
What does `Where were you in 1954` have any bearing on that ? excuse the pun.
Funnily enough, I made my first part for a Vincent in 1954.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Interesting that Trev was making parts back then in 54 . I uncrated and set up my new Red Rapide in early 52 . Sid .

clevtrev

VOC Member
What was the first bit you made, Trev?
The Toolmaker I was apprenticed with, had a wooden right leg, got himself a Rapide with chair, so the exercise was to make a hand change. Worked very well. until John, about two years later, had a problem with a long uphill sweeping left hand, and went off to the right, down a forty foot embankment. No chance. The stupid thing was that I should (could) have been in the chair that night, might have made a difference, might not.
By the way, that was in Portsmouth, where I lived in 1954, does that make any difference Sid ? Me being in Portsmouth in 1954.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Interesting that Trev was making parts back then in 54 . I uncrated and set up my new Red Rapide in early 52 . Sid .

So that would have made you, what 22 years of age, how many of us could afford a Vincent at that age ?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Of course I am only a 'mere stripling' compared with some of you guys but I bought my first Vincent when I was only 18 in 1957. By that stage Vincents had ceased production and prices had dropped. I was living and working 220 miles away from home, in digs and along with other residents having to buy food to eake out the rather meagre rations the lodgings provided. The price of the bike, a 1950 Rapide, was £150 from Comerfords of Thames Ditton. I was being paid about £360 a year and the bike was bought on credit paid over two years. I was, and still am, relatively poor so it was possible for the lower orders to buy a Vincent back then, albeit a second hand one. New ones had been a different matter a few years earlier.