New (?) Comet Engine Noise

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Martyn, If you put a new Muff on your self, Be sure to put a heavy weight on the Muff as it cools down, Or it will walk out a few thou' and you will be able to get your thumb nail between liner and muff, Then you won't be able to grind head to barrel, This I had after a top Vin repairer did mine !! Good Luck, Bill.

Good tip. See Chrish "Muff Liners" thread, I think the photo shows his neat alternative to the heavy weight.

H

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
P.E.I. used the nifty wheeze of putting the hot muff and liner top first into water. The alloy around the head joint contracted first- no problems.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
More info in from Laurie Binns: All bearings are shot, oil pump is within 002" of being shot, so replace that now. Some of the case spindles show excessive wear.

The only bright spot so far is that the oil filter cap seems OK!

Irrespective, its now clear that the bike will not be back on the road for at least a month or longer - so my trip around Tasmania will now be on my Moto Guzzi V7 - at least its a air cooled, pushrod twin!

Martyn

Albervin

VOC Member
It has certainly been a labour of love :) Reminds me of my first Comet 28 years ago. Repairs cost twice as much as the bike. Luckily the bike cost less than $2,000. Perseverance and patience.