New (?) Comet Engine Noise

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good Call Trev, And others, I thought it was piston slap !! I would have gone on the trip, And as they say in the trade, "Let It Develop" All The Best Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sounds like you lucked out . The original big end had to go anyway , a new caged one will accept the harder running you will be giving it and easily hold faster crusing speeds . The case hardening on original followers was said to be 30 to 35 thou thick so these can be surfaced on a fresh oilstone If the grooves are not too deep , and if there are light fingernails on the lobes they can be stoned off and re polished .
Use oil with ZDDP in it and all will be well . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Sounds like you lucked out . The original big end had to go anyway , a new caged one will accept the harder running you will be giving it and easily hold faster crusing speeds . The case hardening on original followers was said to be 30 to 35 thou thick so these can be surfaced on a fresh oilstone If the grooves are not too deep , and if there are light fingernails on the lobes they can be stoned off and re polished .
Use oil with ZDDP in it and all will be well . Sid .

the cam followers are completly knackered - depressions on the wear face of around 0.120" deep; and of course like wear on the cam lobes. Both of the followers and the cam are being replaced.

M

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Those then are worthless , toss in the kip . Might be worth it to seperate the pinions from the shafts , keep those . Be aware that those tooth flanks that drive the spring pressure and resist it usually show wear , the others don't . A source of noise if excessive . Sid .

davidd

VOC Member
Have ordered a replacement big end with bearing from Maughan & Sons that will be fitted to my existing flywheels. Unsure as to what make of bearing they use.

M

Martyn,

When I ordered the big end for the racer from Maughan in 2010 ago they no longer supplied INA, but were supplying IKO bearings.

David

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
Bl@%dy H£ll! It certainly is an expensive job to fit the new VOCS oil filter to some Comets, Good Luck Martyn!

Last edited:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
put it on a rolling road with a sensor up its rear
with the muck they call petrol nowadays its the only way

Given the extent of the work underway, I will be doing this to help ensure long term reliability. Starting to search for a suitable "tuning shop" that is within a sensible distance.