Help With Rear Comet Hub Shim Clearence

Steve Burden

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Cleaned all my spoke threads today ready for rebuild and only just noticed I have 2 types of spoke. It was not obvious when I ripped it apart and being a novice did not pay too much attention. I have 20x 3.6mm x 202mm and 20x 4.00mm x 195mm not measuring the threads. Is this normal? Thanks Steve.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Cleaned all my spoke threads today ready for rebuild and only just noticed I have 2 types of spoke. It was not obvious when I ripped it apart and being a novice did not pay too much attention. I have 20x 3.6mm x 202mm and 20x 4.00mm x 195mm not measuring the threads. Is this normal? Thanks Steve.
The 4mm. ones are more than likely 8 s.w.g. the 3.6mm., 9s.w.g. Spoke pattern is usually "across four", but there are differences of opinion. I would go with 8 s.w.g. on the rear, and 9 on the front, unless you are pulling a chair. There shouldn't be that much difference in length. Can you post a photo. of the wheel before dismemberment (the wheel, not you)?

Steve Burden

Non-VOC Member
Have not had any me time last few weeks and now catching up on stuff to realise I need the computer at work to upload a photo as mobile fong do it. I completely get why you would use different gauge spokes for side car use etc but I cannot find any references in any publication of different spoke lengths on the same wheel. A lot of this bike I purchased is getting to be like this. Will post my before dismantle picture tomorrow. Cheers for help.

Steve Burden

Non-VOC Member
Comet Rear Wheel Before Tear Down

Attachments

• Vincent Wheel.jpg
    Vincent Wheel.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 39

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I know you said you are going to re-use your spokes, but use one eye of the spoke flange and take one opposing spoke one rim hole further, then repeat. I think your spoke lengths may then be more even and your nipples will sit better in their dimples. (God that sounds sexy, I'll just slip into my fishnet jockstrap.) You may of course have to buy 20 more spokes. On the other hand, I have five fingers.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I know you said you are going to re-use your spokes, but use one eye of the spoke flange and take one opposing spoke one rim hole further, then repeat. I think your spoke lengths may then be more even and your nipples will sit better in their dimples. (God that sounds sexy, I'll just slip into my fishnet jockstrap.) You may of course have to buy 20 more spokes. On the other hand, I have five fingers.

Thank you for not posting photos. :eek: