hello from a state of disassembly.

lindie

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
ingenious! read the thread was for extraction and thought nil more on it. thanks bruce, am yet to buy that one but am looking into it now i'm a member.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Not having the various books is a real handicap, even with Section members helping you. KTB, Richardson, and the Works Instruction Sheets are a minimum. 40YO and ATY usually have writeups from Vin owners' experiences just like yours.

lindie

Non-VOC Member
richardson and the one from motorcycling are both well written but you can't beat people having to find better ways to go about things to sort unseen problems that occur post design stage.

face it, the small block chev is living testament to development over design, and we at least had irving on our team.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
If you'dve said Porsche ,I could understand but small block chev?:eek:. Take a look at my avatar. 1963 Corvette with a small block chevvy original from the factory L76 motor. Redlined at 6,500 ,340 HP, 350 ftbls torque 0 to 60 6.4 secs:D. I would say that it was pretty well developed originally (the motor anyway). Sorry it's off topic
Regards Mac

lindie

Non-VOC Member
off topic is never a problem matey, though perhaps the moderators view it differently. i'd kind of been hedging on getting a bite from that statement.
you own my best mates fathers (essentially a second father to me i guess) other dream car. the split windows never quite did it for me as i'm more a 68 convertible kinda guy, and the 427 option from the 66 onwards models over the small block weighs heavy though face it, you could bolt whatever you wanted in after the fact, but he loves em. his other dream car ended up his reality as he bought a 55 2 door post (pillared we'd call them) shoebox in about 94. theres a 350/th350 combo in there at present but he's building a 400 crank 383 stroker with trickflow twisted wedge heads, holley pro-jection, and a turbo700 up its butt with the obligatory 9 inch in place of the factory diff thats still there. his previous baby was a factory 350/th400 Holden HQ caprice that he sold off to buy the 55. but even he admits that they came a long way, and theres aspects of them that really aren't great. your 327 is a far cry from the 2 barrel 265 and the same again from the current ls2/3 but theres architecture there that stems from 54 years of people tinkering and often not with a clean sheet. the push in rocker studs of the early motors went the way of the dodo, the crossram on the early camaro's was a pretty distant setup from the more mundane engines intakes, the port and chamber layout was not carried over to the late stuff and the number of idiots locally who identify their new commodores engine with that of the 307/327/350 knocked out in our local monaro's in the 68-74 heyday of the smallblock here as a locally offered motor. yes they can be made to really hammer and there were specialties that went hard from factorylike the lt1/fuellie models/z28/etc, but it only takes one ride in a mid sixties bel-air with a 283 struggling against the weight, and the joy of a powerglide to realize that they weren't all performance motors. i stand by my comment that they were more a development than they ever were a masterpiece.

porsche may have started off with the beetles donk (which he designed) and stuck with the boxer layout, but the lineage between an early 356, the later ohc, the early, mid, late, and current 911's and the big bangers like their 917 and 956's has some very big steps in the process. you can't readily pluck components from your 55 porsche and interchange them with your late 90's models smog engine like you can with the small block.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I've been following this thread because I'm rebuilding an open series D. I bought it because the previous owner had it for 40 years and it was 99% complete so I knew I could rebuid it pretty much back to how it should be( I didn't want a restored bike, wanted to do the work as much as possible myself, that way it becomes my bike). Took me years to find one like that. When I got it, the clutch was shot but it would run so I relined the clutch and rode it about 1000mile to see what I needed to do. It was obvious that the engine needed a rebuild but the rest of the bike just needed stripping down, refinishing and rewiring. I took out the engine and sent it away( it's been away now 2 yrs) and work has just started on it. It had a partial siezure on one piston. The cams were 27 thou out of base circle and the mains although not disastrous needed re fitting. Anyway the rest of the bike is restored now waiting for the motor and maybe I'll get it done this year.
I've had the Corvette 20 yrs now, got it in Canada when I worked there. The engine is original (70,000 miles) and is the same as the fuel injected one but has a Carter 4 barrel instead of injection. These motors came balanced and blue printed from the factory hence the higher rev limit. According to the records around 1500 of these were built with the Carter. It leads and easy life now but has no problem out accelerating most modern cars but stoppoing it is a differnt story.

Regards Mac

indianken

Non-VOC Member
I've been following this thread because I'm rebuilding an open series D. I bought it because the previous owner had it for 40 years and it was 99% complete so I knew I could rebuid it pretty much back to how it should be( I didn't want a restored bike, wanted to do the work as much as possible myself, that way it becomes my bike). Took me years to find one like that. When I got it, the clutch was shot but it would run so I relined the clutch and rode it about 1000mile to see what I needed to do. It was obvious that the engine needed a rebuild but the rest of the bike just needed stripping down, refinishing and rewiring. I took out the engine and sent it away( it's been away now 2 yrs) and work has just started on it. It had a partial siezure on one piston. The cams were 27 thou out of base circle and the mains although not disastrous needed re fitting. Anyway the rest of the bike is restored now waiting for the motor and maybe I'll get it done this year.
I've had the Corvette 20 yrs now, got it in Canada when I worked there. The engine is original (70,000 miles) and is the same as the fuel injected one but has a Carter 4 barrel instead of injection. These motors came balanced and blue printed from the factory hence the higher rev limit. According to the records around 1500 of these were built with the Carter. It leads and easy life now but has no problem out accelerating most modern cars but stoppoing it is a differnt story.

Regards Mac
I have owned three Corvettes, 1956, 57, 60. All had one thing in common, two happy days. The day I got it and the day I got rid of it.
Ken

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You'd get on well with my next door neighbour. The car is now finished -- and stunning '56 shoebox!

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 56

lindie

Non-VOC Member
love the intakes!

dons is coming good again now, what with a succession of bodgy dickhead previous owners. a stripping of the paint tells a thousand tales and there was filler and treachery afoot and a 57 bootlid and ram type power steering with a not quite correct right hand drive conversion. it's now awaiting paint and reassembly though that isn't far off either. his best mate (now deceased) had a real thing for the late 70's/pre 84 vette but couldn't come at the price tag or the dodgy conversions. he bought and built a 56 3100 stepside with a zz4 crate motor, t56 borgie box and a dana 60 that although strong really sapped power. never held it back though as by god it used to move once you got it off the line. his son owns a 307 and glide 69 camaro basey that they repainted blue with the bonnet blackouts. was awaiting a transplant last i heard but that was maybe 6 years ago.

i know what you mean with the two engine year wait mac as i've got cars that have been on the backburner for 7 years now and aren't advancing while i potter around with the rapide and other two wheeled distractions. bodywork is a pet hate and mates better equipped and proficient than i that are quick to ask for favours on their stuff are happy to let mine rust in the corner. out of interest, the big girl running an afb or were there other carters still kicking around like the wfcb by that stage? i have a 500 afb comp series on one of my toys that i love and a mates 340 LA has it's factory AVS and no looking back due to it's sweet nature and good economy when you're off the pedal. the new avs isn't a patch on the old.