hello from a state of disassembly.

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
At least if it leaks and you get lost someone could track you:D ..john (Oily Comet owner)

lindie

Non-VOC Member
think that may end up my next trick bruce. someon has tried to crush seal a piece of tube in there but it isn't working. is it also the vent for the tank and and what methods are recommended to plug it off please?

p.s. is it normal for the upper links of bramptons when plunging to come remarkably close to the control lever adjust nuts? mine were struck once or twice though god knows the manufacturer of the levers as they're alloy. have moved them outboard a tad more for now. the brake cable nipple pulled clean off the cable in the lever so resoldering looks like it might be fun. just the middle of a long winding journey i spose.

bmetcalf

VOC Member

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Best to use taper thread into a parallel hole , seals better. Liquid thread sealer is best but PTFE tape is ok. Your in Oz so visit your local Pirtek hydraulic shop for a taper BSP plug.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I broke out the tapped hole in my AJS 18 crankcase with the right oil pipe part and had to send it to the UK for repair. Go carefully with the tapered plug, even if it is in steel.

If I wanted a tapered pipe plug in the US, any store with plumbing parts would have it. Is it different in the UK or Oz?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Well , I doubt many plumbing stores would have it in the UK. Tends to be an industrial part hence I mentioned Pirtek , which is an Oz company.

lindie

Non-VOC Member
unlikely to be clear and nothing special but as its a bit far for all of you to drive to see it in the short term:

starting
th_1181a158.jpg

and stopping
th_82c78508.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
think that may end up my next trick bruce. someon has tried to crush seal a piece of tube in there but it isn't working. is it also the vent for the tank and and what methods are recommended to plug it off please? .

My oil tank cap has 2 closed positions. One is twisted past the first detent of the bayonet type fitting. The second is twisted further to the right. I leave mine in the 1st position, which I believe provides venting.

clevtrev

VOC Member
My oil tank cap has 2 closed positions. One is twisted past the first detent of the bayonet type fitting. The second is twisted further to the right. I leave mine in the 1st position, which I believe provides venting.
You might lose it one day, do it up properly, it vents through the hole in the top face via the hole in the inside plate.