Headlamp codes

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The American market sealed beam units with the split rim, more times than not, the rims have Miller in raised letters. Those rims have been very hard to obtain for quite some time.

stevee

VOC Member
Thanks - the US Export Rapide has exactly that - with Miller on the rim - I just didn't know it was original.
The Meteor has a Lucas lamp currently sitting above Girdraulic forks - I have managed to obtain an 8" Miller to put on when I fit my new Bramptons - which sounds a good cosmetic choice - if not the original one - according to genedn

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I have borrowed (and hope to buy) a 7" Miller which I think originated on a Velocette. It's a little deeper than the exact correct 7" Miller which some Vins got. Will it give clearance problems with an AVO front damper? These are fatter than a Vincent damper

If it is deeper I would be a little concerned that it may interfere with the shock. My friend lives a short distance away has a 7" miller, I will take a snap of it with a ruler beside for you to reference.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have just finished a total resto on a Shadow that came from a well known collection in the states, and this has one of the Miller 6 1/2 inch headlamps to suit the US market. The shell is identical to the more common Miller type except for the rim section at the very front, this to suit the split clamp type of rim as has been mentioned earlier. The chrome rim is not a genuine Miller one although I believe I have seen them available on EBay.........If you want to go to that expense. Anyway, the rim tapers outward from the shell, thus allowing the larger sealed beam as originally installed. Whereas the other more common 6 1/2 inch Miller shell, well it's chrome rim is a completely different shape, and tapers inward with a nice radius to suit a Miller glass which fits through the rim with a hole diameter of about 6 inches. The actual overall total width of the glass is 6 1/2 inches. The shell of the US variant has a cut out in the very front of the steel rim at about the 11 o'clock position when looking from the front, and this is to locate on one of the 3 locating tangs that the sealed beam unit has. I have found this is pretty much the same as the Lucas pre- focus type of lamp/reflector unit as well, and this is what I have installed in this headlight assembly, as I am not sure of the availability of the sealed beam lamp for a 6 volt system, these days. Cheers.......Greg.

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
is this therefore the code for a 6 1/2" Miller?
From a 1950s Kerry Motorcycle spares catalogue: 84E - 8 1/4" Dia., 7 1/4" reflector aperture for 3 brush dynamo. 84CV for constant voltage control
74E - 7" dia., 6" reflector for 3 brush dynamo. 74CV for constant voltage control.

davidd

VOC Member
Here is the stock Vincent Series C Miller headlamp with a one piece rim and a cleat on the bottom to hold the spring clamp:

DSCN0171.JPG

DSCN0172.JPG

Here is the Export Miller. Note that the rim is almost flat, that is, it has little or no curvature like the one above. The rim is split on the bottom and screwed together to tighten:
DSCN0173.JPG

DSCN0176.JPG

David

nkt267

VOC Member
I have borrowed (and hope to buy) a 7" Miller which I think originated on a Velocette. It's a little deeper than the exact correct 7" Miller which some Vins got. Will it give clearance problems with an AVO front damper? These are fatter than a Vincent damper
I have the Avo damper and 7 inch miller on my Comet..there is 2.4 inches of clearance fro the back of the bowl to the damper..John

vibrac

VOC Member
looking at the site I am a little confused by the format of the price
$4608, 2105 price. I assume thats not 46 million dollars:eek: (perhaps drachma?:rolleyes:) but really just around £3K:cool:
I believe Bramptons are still available in UK with something of a wait can someone confirm?

nkt267

VOC Member
Saw a set of new Bramptons at Stafford,,Ray Daniels has the for £2500. And very nice looking too..Sell your Girdraulics :eek:for £5000,buy Bramptons and have cash left over:D..John

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
David we imported semi sealed beam units, left hand dip, from the USA I Think GEC they used the split rim,