Misc: Everything Else H.T. Coils

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Morning Robert, Is that a misprint, 48/22 =2.18: 1.
That's what I thought, So it must be that I am just too Excited to be on the old Girl again ?,
She was looking very sad, Covered in dust and stuff, But cleaned up nice.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Amazing !, I didn't think it would start, No H.T. leads to the Distr', Just thought of another +, You can't get the plug leads on wrong !.
You just never stop learning, Well I don't.
Can't remember when I spoke to Len about this Mod', It was many years ago, Who said I was Slow !.
Ron, If your are watching, I have just found 2 new fibre pinions, So it will cost you Nowt !.
Many Thanks All. Bill.

Somer

VOC Member
I have a new Lucas 6 Volt coil. I checked it and it read a little under 2 OHMs. Any difference between 6 volt or 12 volt coils on resistance ?

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The problem caused by a low resistance coil when used with points ignition is the current draw, and hence heat build up, when you have the engine stopped and the ignition turned on with the points closed.

Current is Volts / Resistance.

A 12 Volt coil with a 2 Ohm resistance will try to dissipate 6 Amps or 72 Watts with the points closed. You can see that it would soon burn the points or melt the coil.

A 12Volt coil with the correct points type, 5 Ohm, coil will use 2.4 Amps and wont melt.

A 6Volt coil with a 2 Ohm resistance will use 3 Amps and so should be fine with points ignition. I don't think that I have ever seen a 6V coil for electronic ignition but I am sure someone will tell me otherwise. What voltage is the Rita?

Somer

VOC Member
I have a NOS Series D coil I dug out. It too had the same readings of 1.8 Ohms. I'm contemplating converting my C Rapide to coil. I installed a BTH but it seems to be sensitive to oil fouling. The bike has 25K miles and will leave a slight deposit on the plug when riding around. Won't re-start without a plug change, even though rear plug is firing.
I like coil ignitions on a Vin as you can run the gap out to .030.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
M
The problem caused by a low resistance coil when used with points ignition is the current draw, and hence heat build up, when you have the engine stopped and the ignition turned on with the points closed.

Current is Volts / Resistance.

A 12 Volt coil with a 2 Ohm resistance will try to dissipate 6 Amps or 72 Watts with the points closed. You can see that it would soon burn the points or melt the coil.

A 12Volt coil with the correct points type, 5 Ohm, coil will use 2.4 Amps and wont melt.

A 6Volt coil with a 2 Ohm resistance will use 3 Amps and so should be fine with points ignition. I don't think that I have ever seen a 6V coil for electronic ignition but I am sure someone will tell me otherwise. What voltage is the Rita?
Morning Pete, The Rita uses 2 6v mini coils on a 12 v setup, It's the way it's wired, I had a coil break down early from fitting the setup New, Bad contact inside from one terminal, Because it was the front one, I lost the lot !,
Playing at the side of the road, A plug went Bang when I touched one terminal, I forgot to switch off !!.
But that told me where the trouble was = Lucky !.
I had a spare mini 12v coil in my tank bag, So I thought , Sod it , That's going on there, And it worked !!,
It made the tickover higher, But the Rita Man said I was mistaken, But it got me home.
He sent me this 12v twin lead coil to use , But I didn't like the way it went, So went back to 2 mini 6v coils.
You must not pinch these mini coils when fitting, There is no room inside and they break down.
Been running the Special with "D" Distributor and this Twin Lead 12v coil, Wasted spark, No dist' leads to the cap and no rotor arm, For a few rides now, Am happy, Fingers crossed !, Thanks Len,
And you other Lads, Thanks for all the info.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have a NOS Series D coil I dug out. It too had the same readings of 1.8 Ohms. I'm contemplating converting my C Rapide to coil. I installed a BTH but it seems to be sensitive to oil fouling. The bike has 25K miles and will leave a slight deposit on the plug when riding around. Won't re-start without a plug change, even though rear plug is firing.
Hello Somer, Might be worth trying Champion Plugs, N5c with an old type Mag', Or N9y with a coil,
They cope with an oily engine better.
I tried bigger gaps, But went back to 20 ish. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
........ it seems to be sensitive to oil fouling. The bike has 25K miles and will leave a slight deposit on the plug when riding around. Won't re-start without a plug change, even though rear plug is firing.
Wouldn't a larger plug gap make it more likely to oil up?