Misc: Everything Else H.T. Coils

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Neil, But I won't be there, If Len is right Maybe I should forget it.
I thought a coil was a coil !!, I am not good with electrics.
Many thanks all. Bill.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Bill,
Couple of questions about the meter you are using. If it is one of the digital ones, have you selected the lowest possible resistance setting before checking the coil? If it is an analog version with a moving needle after selecting the lowest possible resistance setting you should zero the meter by touching the two probes together adjusting the knob marked Ω adj until the needle is over the zero line.
Steven

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Steven, But I don't have a clue what an Ohm is, I thought it was where I lived !.
I have both types of meters, My old one with a needle I have used for years, We had a lot of trouble with H.T. leads breaking down, Many years ago, And it's done me well for checking faulty wires, It stopped doing Ohms,
So I bought a digital one, So many settings and it's a cheapie again, One setting it Beeps ! for a good connection. Got so fed up with the new one , I mended my old one !.
I have reset the needle like you said, I do that every time I use it, But because what people have said, I tried to set it the other end of the scale, That didn't work, So back to square one !.
I am sorry to say , I have given up, ( For now ), Not like me.
Len has put the fear up me so it's not worth the worry.
Many thanks, Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think I am going Mad.
Just gone on to my local man's web site, " Feked.com " Looked at his coils, Sure enough there is a photo of what looks like my twin lead 12v coil, He did not supply it to me, That was for my Rita on another Bike.
It says for early Jap Bikes with electronic or Points !!, 4.5 ohms.
So what do we make of that ?.
Until I can test it, I won't take a chance. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Many Thanks Steven, Had another go with the Digital Meter, Found a setting for 200 ohms, Got a 5.4 for the twin lead coil and a 4.2 for the small round 12v coil !!.
Might be worth a try. Sorry to Paul/John/Peter etc.
Cheers Bill.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Bill
Those figures sound like they could well be ok for points. At the risk of overtaxing your multimeter skills it could be worth just joining the multimeter probes together with nothing in between. You should get a very small reading. Subtract that reading from what you originally got from the coil. If it is still greater than 4 Ohms then you should be fine to use that coil on points.

Peter

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Skills !, I like that, I have none.
5.4 on the twin lead type coil, I put the leads together and get .5
It takes a while to warm up, Numbers go up and down like a Mad thing, Funny, I nearly threw it away a year or so ago, When I bought it.
I will try what Neil said and short out one lead, Thanks Neil.
Many thanks Peter. Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well it starts !, Don't know how or why, One lead to earth, Looks much better tucked away up there.
I guess I will carry a spare coil in my back pack, That's getting more heavy !.
I would not/ Could not, Have done it without you Lads, Many thanks, Bill.

John Cone

VOC Member
There is nowt wrong with a bog standard Lucas coil as fitted to the early mini's, Moggie 1000's and any other BL cars of the 50' and 60's

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I agree John, I like the big ones, Not the small ones, Just don't like it bolted on the side of the engine, It has been there for years, Bit like a "D", Now this small black 2 lead one is bolted near where the standard steering damper is, Out of site, I am very happy, Goes well and starts well, "D", Distributor.
When I had a big coil on the Comet, That bolted to the F106, Nice. Cheers Bill.