Misc: Everything Else H.T. Coils

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Len, Yes 12v on my Special, But a Tip for anyone on 6v coil, I had a small round coil on my Comet,
Half way to the I.O.M. it packed up, A local Bike rider took me to the nearest town, A V.W. Dealer !,
Some of them where 6v, I was very lucky that day. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Len, My head is hurting, I asked you a long time ago, What you had on your outfit.
Just been talking to Ron about fitting a Distributor to his Comet.

DSCN0134.JPG

Thinking he would not need a rotor arm and cap, Did you say yours was a twin spark coil, Like the one I have just fitted, And you do the wasted spark idea ?, If so I could do the same with my Twin ??.
I am happy with what I have done, But if yours is what I thought, It was save the cap and rotor arm, Two things that could give trouble ??. Cheers Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Len, My head is hurting, I asked you a long time ago, What you had on your outfit.
Just been talking to Ron about fitting a Distributor to his Comet.

View attachment 23173

Thinking he would not need a rotor arm and cap, Did you say yours was a twin spark coil, Like the one I have just fitted, And you do the wasted spark idea ?, If so I could do the same with my Twin ??.
I am happy with what I have done, But if yours is what I thought, It was save the cap and rotor arm, Two things that could give trouble ??. Cheers Bill.
Bill, for years I have run the outfit using a Series D distributor without the rotor arm and normal cap. Instead I use the plain Lucas cap from a BSA C10. Initially I used a pattern H-D twin lead coil, a big chrome plated thing but now I use a much smaller one of Oriental origin and of course it is an idle spark set up.There has been no problems at all.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Len, I was thinking of giving Ron a Twin "D" Distributor for his Comet,
So with a normal single coil, He would get 2 sparks, One of them wasted ?, Does every body think that would
be OK, Many Thanks, Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Bill, the Joe Hunt magneto I ran on the racer used a wasted spark, so it fires both plugs at the same time, and gave no trouble. I see Morris magnetos in the States have come up with a special one into two spliter so you can run twin plug heads using this kind of magneto, as a magneto is an AC device it uses special diodes that allow it to split the spark using each outlet from the pair of leads so twin plugs can be used. They are expensive, but a cheaper alternative to replacing the whole ignition system, and simple too.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Greg, But I live in a different world, Make do and mend, Some say bodge !, I have a few "D" distributors under the bench, Always liked them, Got caught out once and had to buy a Rita, It's on my ex L/ning rep,
Never liked it.
I worry about it all the time, Leave a lead off and it will pop the magic box !.
The "D" Dist' can do a lot of miles, Just on the battery.
Talking to Ron yesterday, He thinks his Mag' is playing up, So I said he could have one of my Dist',
We have always shared bits.
I don't have a single type cam for the Dist', can you still buy them ??, I have one but it looks home made, The Dwell may be not good,
So that is why I am thinking of wasted spark.
Then I remembered seeing Len's Bike, With no Dist' cap !, Many years ago and talking to him, My Head is going from Ron's Comet to the twin lead coil I have just fitted to my Special, I am not good with electrics, Just bluff my way around !, I am also thinking about doing the same thing for my 560, If it ever gets built !.
Ron has a 12v Alternator, So to me the Dist' is the quickest and cheapest and best way out, He may have to buy a Fibre gear, But it is up to him.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Bill, I just can't work out where the wasted spark will happen on a Vin', But worth a try. Cheers Bill.