Gear Lever

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dont worry about changing feet to change gear Dave I have never found it a problem, my problem is remembering when I get on the bike if its up for down or up for up

Tim,
I'd forgotten the gear change pattern was different, though I'll still probably be stamping on the brake pedal a few times to try changing gear.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I used to put the ball of my foot on the footrest for the rear brake, Out of the way,
And just use the front brake, But I also at one time, Had a Vin' Twin, One up 3 down and a Comet one down 3 up + a BMW K100 on the other side !. It kept me awake !, Lots of Fun.

vibrac

VOC Member
Best one is my 28 Scott, gear lever on Right (hand) ,Front brake on Right,rear brake on right, throttle on right luckily the clutch stops the left hand falling asleep but the left foot is redundant.
Hardest is my 1925 going on 1914 Douglas, no clutch:oops:!,hand gear change (top neutral bottom),advance and retard, valve lifter, choke lever, throttle lever, valve lifter, front brake (dont touch!):eek:, foot rear brake (mahogany wood in belt rim), and of course oil pump pump , drip control and sight glass. With the exception of the front brake all those controls are in constant use (including valve lifter) on any journey involving corners or junctions. I do have time to occasionally glance at the road and thankfully there is no speedometer to distract me. It certainly takes more concentration to do 10 miles than 20 laps of Cadwell on the Flash:(.

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Some photos to show how it all looks.
My foot is in it`s natural position & even if I attempt to twist it closer to the gearlever I can tell it wouldn`t be realistic to be able to operate it when riding.
I think I need to "Adjust" the F52/17 & extend the actual gear lever as suggested by Tom.
Cheers
Dave
IMG_20191125_165146.jpg
IMG_20191125_165221.jpg
IMG_20191125_165913.jpg
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I was going to say, you need to try it with the correct footrest piece FT72 (LH) or FT72/1 (RH). I thinmk you might find that works better!

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That foot piece, Looks like a comfort rest for somebody on the back .
Also it needs a bit of weld to stop the rest swinging too far back, It's not in the same plane as the rear one ?.
The down bit looks bent out wards, Not vertical ?.
I would go with the standard setup, By twisting round on the taper and moving the gear lever up and down,
It will fit most people, Don't forget, Like the brake plate arms, You can move the small round disc,
Round one flat on the square fitting, To give a very small change to how high or low the gear lever goes, ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you don't want to weld the foot piece, They used to drill and tap and fit a small grub screw,
So that you could screw it in and out, Until the foot piece points out straight.
Good luck. Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I was looking the other week for the early series B. Gearchange parts all a bit rare
A pity as apart from wear in the linkage joints that gave superior adjustment