Gear Lever

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm hoping the reregistration of our Series C Rapide goes smoothly & thoughts are now turning to my first ride on it.
I'm going to have to get used to the right hand gear change having spent my life on left handed ones, but I've noticed that the lever seems awkward to get at & even though I've got a knackered right ankle don't think that is really the problem.
I've tried normal footrests & Michael Breedings extended ones & I still feel that I can't turn my foot in in a comfortable way.
The F52/17 Footrest Hanger is a pattern part & doesn't put the footrest at 90 degrees to the bike so I wonder if heating it & twisting it forward would help.
Brake pedal is fine so I'd welcome any advice.
Cheers
Dave

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
With the M Breeding ones
You can do whatever you want.
Any shape

But be sure to heat up good.
At least short for 500 degree C so it gets to normal status.
And if welding done heat at 2-300 degree following slow cool down.

VOCspares are made from Brass.
Bad stuff to alter.

For the foot etc. I dont have a clue what you mean.

Cheers

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Can't remember how tall you are Dave, I have trouble with standard f/rests,
But for me it's the brake I can't work. I have made up a few different ones and use rear sets.
Show us a photo, So we can see how you are on it.
Cheers Bill.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Can't remember how tall you are Dave, I have trouble with standard f/rests,
But for me it's the brake I can't work. I have made up a few different ones and use rear sets.
Show us a photo, So we can see how you are on it.
Cheers Bill.

I'm around 5'10 Bill, slowly shrinking ! :)
Good idea about taking a photo, I'll get my Wife to take a couple of me on the bike when I get home tonight.
Cheers
Dave

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont worry about changing feet to change gear Dave I have never found it a problem, my problem is remembering when I get on the bike if its up for down or up for up

tom wilson

VOC Member
Hi Dave if it is just selecting gears (locating the gear lever peg) why not take the simple route and just extend the peg? I have a Velo Thruxton I had problems with my foot getting hot on gear changes. So I came up with this idea (see photo). This or a similar idea may solve your problem
IMG_1689.JPG
leaver.jpeg
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Hi Dave if it is just selecting gears (locating the gear lever peg) why not take the simple route and just extend the peg? I have a Velo Thruxton I had problems with my foot getting hot on gear changes. So I came up with this idea (see photo). This or a similar idea may solve your problem
View attachment 30535View attachment 30536View attachment 30534View attachment 30534

Hi Tom,
Funnily enough, while working away today I was pondering the problem & wondered about doing something along the lines of what you've done, at least I wasn't being daft like some of my ideas.
Thanks for putting the photos up.
Cheers
Dave