Electric Vehicles (I Don’t Think So)

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
"Your not plugging that in here lad...... now fek off and take that hairdryer with ye."
"Where am I to recharge?" asked the rider
"Ask Ewan McFeking Gregor I blame him." replied the landlord.

Us dirty petrol burning bikers sitting outside enjoying a beer following a grand day out during a recent visit to the Highlands.
The young Harley Livewire rider who had just whined into the carpark and checked in to the same small hotel was caught bang to rights.
Secretly trying to put an extension lead through the open landing window of the wee hotel we were settled at.

The landlord was not pleased, ragging in fact, he relayed tales of overloading electrical systems, trip outs and do gooder tree huggers stealing electricity from him.

It is hard to see a future for electric bike touring.
Maybe with a generator lorry in tow.
Cant see there being too many charge points in them there hills..

Al

Magnetoman

VOC Member
It seems the Introduction pretty well sums the subject.
Some things are difficult, but worth doing. Other things are easy, but not worth doing. Making an informed judgement of whether or not EVs are worth doing requires more effort than reading posts on the internet or listening to a TV commentator, which means most people won't bother. "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts."

Flo

VOC Member
Some things are difficult, but worth doing. Other things are easy, but not worth doing. Making an informed judgement of whether or not EVs are worth doing requires more effort than reading posts on the internet or listening to a TV commentator, which means most people won't bother. "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts."
Whether EV make sense (environmentaly) critically depends on the mix of elecrriciy generation and in grid situations like that in Germany (borderline) even on the weather and the time of the day. I am not an electrical engineer but mechanical and this is one of the moments when I am glad, that I'm retired and hence can not afford any new car. But I have an app on my phone which tells me with half way reasonable resolution what the relevant CO2/kWh is - above 400g/kWh electricity is worse than Diesel traction.
It surely would be asking too much for polticians to make sense of the situation. All we gat are publicity stunts and more such skip actions.
The so called E-fuels do not make me hopeful, since the will hardyly make economic sense. So it will be possible to purchase a Porsche with an Otto-Cycle Engine after 2035 which will liekely come with a guaranteed fuel supply for life. But that wont help me much.

Last edited:

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Well, we love our I Pace Jaguar, and we are able to charge it at home when the grid rates and use are at there lowest, but there are clueless policymakers, ripoff manufacturers (Tesla, or at least Musk) and the battery technology needs more development, such as price, range and operating ability in cold weather. I can imagine these same problems at the turn of the 20th Century with developing I.C. vehicles. My ideal would be a Fusion powered steam car that would never need refuelling or water. The current UK Govt. is absolutely incompetent on all counts and we're lagging behind on renewable, green energy systems. These idiots want to build Nukes!