Electric Vehicles (I Don’t Think So)

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
BT/Openreach were working down my road yesterday connecting our newly moved in neighbours, unfortunately when they left I discovered that they had managed to disconnect me, some text messages were sent to BT as is the modern way, no actual conversations took place, but about 2 hours later a really excellent, polite, friendly engineer turned up to reconnect me.

Now here is the interesting bit, he actually lived in Manchester, but had been sent down south to help with the backlog of work down here, living in digs and getting paid overtime etc. he was very happy with the arrangement.

One thing he was not that enamoured with was the new fleet of Vauxhall Vivaro electric service vans, I think he drives home at weekends to Manchester stopping 4 times on route for a battery charge, during the extremely cold weather we have experienced during this winter he told me using the heater was not a viable option as it consumes 25% of the battery power, so 4 stops becomes 6 stops unless you felt like cutting it fine, he had worked in Portsmouth, a mere 6 charge stops, unless you use the heater, so most of the driving time was spent being frozen in a tin box, he mentioned -3c I forgot to ask about wipers and washers etc.
Apparently they do have battery regenerative braking, so drive accordingly, which I suppose is a good thing, whilst driving my fossil fuelled vehicles, braking is always the last resort.

So there it is, if all the details that were discussed were factual and correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, I don’t think I will getting and electric vehicle anytime soon, but I do love my electric bicycle!

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ron and Lin spent 8 hours stuck in the Snow on the M25 , At Night !,
Electric car,
It upset me so much I could not ask for details !.

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Our electric Mercedes is the best thing since sliced bread ! Over 280 miles on a single charge, quiet, effortless and responsive.
The incident Bill refers to was due to jack knifed diesel trucks and inexperienced motorists. We were able to keep the heater on
the whole time we were stuck in the traffic jam without polluting the atmosphere.
On a cold and frosty morning we can programme the car to defrost itself and be warm ready for us to safely drive away, not peering through a hastily scraped hole in a frozen screen.
My next car will definitely be an electric Mercedes. Don't listen to negative comments, try one first you will be surprised !

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Ron, As if I needed more confusion in my life, shall I, shan't I. Will we see tomorrow, if your battery does not run out!

Last edited:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
The LEV zones are forcing the hands of commercial operators to go electric.
I have evaluated all the electric vans on the market and we have tried most of them.
Very disappointing empty they can go for 120 to 180 miles dependent on temperature.
Put a load in them and hey presto range destroyed.
Cost is prohibitive.

Electric commercials are a gimmick just not fit for purpose yet.
So how long does an electric car last?

The only electric in our stable is my grannies 1959 Hitachi Wand works hard every day and is still going strong..

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Not to long after Chevrolet launched the Volt, my father in law purchased one. Well he got tired of the slow charge time that was the result of just plugging the car into the wall outlet. So he had the electric company come out and install the the fast charger. He plugged it in one summer afternoon and all the neighbors came out. Seems the grid in his part of town wasn't up to snuff. Every time he plugged in the car the neighborhood experienced a brown out. Which in the summer in metro Detroit can be an issue as the temps reach 90 degrees F and 90% humidity.
When the Zero motorcycle made its appearance at the local Honda dealer, I considered one. So I asked the salesman about speed an range. At the time I traveled about 30 mile one way to work all at expressway speeds. When the salesman told me the range of the bike at 70mph it was obvious that I would only get about half way home in the evening. His helpful solution was to take the bike in the building and plug in while at work. I pointed out that I worked at a Ford engineering facility on the third floor. His next helpful solution was to keep a very long cord at my desk and drop it out the window and park close to the building. I would have laughed but he was serious.
Up until about ten years ago I used to travel from Detroit, Michigan to Huntington, West, By God, Virginia a distance of approximately 496 miles each way. It only took a bit over seven hours of driving. Leave home mid morning, be there for a late dinner. Be there a couple of days, leave mid afternoon about 4:30 ish be home late evening. No electric car could do that on a single charge then. Don't know if it could now. I know the father in law's Volt couldn't make from Detroit to Bowling Green, Kentucky to see his parents without it starting its gas engine.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's Early days yet,
But as with any other Batteries, They will go down hill after a time,
So less Distance / Speed ?.
More Charging etc, And the price of new Batteries will make your eyes water ? !.

I watched a youtube of a bloke on a Bike going round trip North to South U.K.
Riding through the nights !! etc Took him 4 days !!,

He found Charging places in the middle of nowhere with no toilets ,
Broken Charging units,
Some places you have to wait ie Not enough stations.
It should only have a Fast charge for about 5 times , Then needs a Slow One ?.
Sounds like STRESS to me, I don't need anymore,
Oh and I can't afford one :) .

The whole ride was a Nightmare.