Electric Vehicles (I Don’t Think So)

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Surely he would have followed the will of the voters!
He sure would have Bruce. There are 100,000 more Registered Democrats than Republicans in Nevada. NIMBY rules in the Conservative ares and Rupert Murdoch's Faux News is the preferred source of information.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Are electric cars to be the death of the car body work repair industry?

Recently I spoke to a friend who had bought owned for a week and crashed a nice new famous electric car.
One week following purchase he had a prang someone, not a lady, ran into the back of him!
Simple fender bender.
Car was taken to be assessed by the insurance dude and was then written off!

Seems our rising premiums are set to go higher with the electric car, post accident safety thing.
Anyone know what the craic is with this?
My poor understanding is electric cars following a wee prang are scrapped?

This could not be correct after all they are the green savours of motoring as we know it?

Al

vibrac

VOC Member
not green saviours more like saviours for car makers (less workers), construction companies (more infrastructure) nosh and gambling (captive recharging customers) big brother (less mobile citizens), and tyre makers (7000 miles from a tyre)

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hello from Northern Nevada, where everything is far apart, very sunny and very windy. Charging stations are few and FAR apart. Solar energy is very expensive, initially to purchase and then to maintain. Wind generation is the BIGGEST blow job.... the blades are composite, very expensive to make, have a limited life span and what do you do to dispose of them??? and then the generator maintenance! So.......My friends, it's back to COAL for the most widely accepted form of electric generation. They are not electric vehicles, they are COAL powered vehicles.

willymakit
I was wrong about there being no chargers due to politics. There are at least four charging stations in Minden and at least 50+ between Reno and Wendover! Seems to me everybody knows "someone" who had a disaster with an Electric Vehicle, but Everybody who owns one Loves theirs. The people who do have problems mostly live in big city apartments with nowhere to plug them in other than Charging Stations where you have to wait. Look at all the Farriers that I.C. cars put out of business..
So, I say to the Naysayers...... Bullsh*t!:cool:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I've ignored this thread until now, because the issue of EVs is too complex to be illuminated by discussions that are light on facts. The complex technical problems associated with making appropriate electric motors, batteries, power grid changes, charging stations, etc. are electrical engineering in nature. It happens that a few days ago the IEEE published a 49-page e-book, "The EV Transition Explained," for its members that is the result of an 18-month effort by a long-time electrical engineer and contributing editor to IEEE Spectrum to understand and explain the technical issues, augmenting his own expertise by seeking experts on the materials, mining, governmental and sociological issues.

There's a lot of information in the book to digest so I haven't finished reading it yet, but I have read enough to be comfortable with the objectivity and thoroughness of the author. Whether you are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to own an EV, or bitterly opposed to them under all circumstances, the titles and sub-titles of the chapters provide useful insight into the range of challenges faced in converting from IC to EV.

The EV Transition Explained (IEEE, 2023), by Robert N. Charette

Preface: The Staggering Scale of the EV Transition
One engineer's quest to wrap his mind round the challenges ahead

Introduction: The EV Transition is Harder than Anyone Thinks
Clueless policymakers, skeptical consumers, greedy automakers -- and the tech isn't ready either

Chapter 1: Overview
A deep dive into the engineering challenges of making and supporting electric vehicles at scale

Chapter 2: Battery Challenges
Batteries expose supply-chain and skills gaps

Chapter 3: Can the Grid Cope
Palo Alto offers a glimpse at the challenges municipalities and utilities face

Chapter 4: Charger Infrastructure
How many, where, and who pays?

Chapter 5: Creating a Market for EVs
Converting Gasoline Superusers
Making chargers ubiquitous is only part of the challenge

Chapter 6: Convincing Consumers to Buy EVs
How range, affordability, reliability, and behavioral changes figure into purchase decisions

Chapter 7 Local Policies Shape Global Competition
From Hainan Province to California, cities, states, and regions set an aggressive agenda

Chapter 8: The Carrot or the Stick?
Policymakers differ on how to incentivize automakers and consumers

Chapter 9: Policy Roadblocks
How bureaucracy and public opposition could stymie efforts to support EVs at scale

Chapter 10: Reshaping Labor Markets
Millions of automotive, energy, and mining jobs will be created … and destroyed

Chapter 11: Why EVs Aren't a Climate Change Panacea
Unless people change their behaviors, we won't hit 2050 net-zero emissions targets

Chapter 12: The Aftershocks of the EV Transition Could Be Ugly
To avoid unintended consequences, bring realism to the table

vibrac

VOC Member
I will now admit that five years or so ago the UK parliament had a committee on the future of transport and the environment and asking for submissions (from anyone) I wrote a submission pointing out the problems and costs associated with EV and directing them to the only company that were then producing alternative fuel from the atmosphere and solar power (Carbon Engineering Ltd Canada) at the time I noted that the cost of the fuel was $100 a barrel but that oil prices would rise to that in 10 years ( thanks to Putin its done it in 5)
Of course all was ignored and Carbon Engineering shares were bought by oil companies who delighted in turning the companies attention to carbon sequestration rather than fuels (Obviously they want to keep selling oil, getting money from sequestrating the by-products and entertaing the EV users while they spend hours re charging)

forget CO2 put up that sunshade!