Comet Top End Speed

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gene, I have a beat up old freeflowing muffler we could try on there. Do you have any plans to come to the Lower Mainland this Spring?

Glen

Glen,

I will be over to the mainland a fare bit. I would really like to connect with a few more of the owners.

The offer to try the exhaust muffler is brilliant and I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Gene
Looks like the consensus is gearing, but don't forget the silencer. One of our section members had similar symptoms last year, he changed the silencer and got an instant improvement - the change was from smile to grin from ear to ear in one easy step.;)
H

One of the local VOC members has offer a free flow exhaust to try on the machine. I hope I can arrange this for the coming spring. I am sure with all the excellent advice given I will soon be grinning from ear to ear! :)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I had the silencer problem with my twin when I got it, would do 75 mph up my test track which I thought was poor, fitted the goldstar one off my norvin and hey presto 90mph up the same bit, so bought a straight through absorbtion type. Still did 90 and was reasonably quiet

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The trouble is the Comet is not the same, My Comet silencer is a bit too short and a bit too small !! A local bloke had some made and they were wrong. So I took the "open one" off my twin, Just for a bit of fun, Boy , Did it sound good !! But it was SO loud even I would not risk it with the Law !! Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
I had an old Burgess silencer on my racing Comet. When I say silencer, it had had the end cut off and the baffles replaced with a length of exhaust pipe before welding it back together. Those were the days, I got away with it until they started to use a noise meter!! :)
H

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah! the tricks we played
In the early 60's when all British manufactures made sure by cc limits that no out of production 10 year old 998 Vincents would upset their monopoly or sales the production class was our only playground at the Bantam club and others we were OK a flash of the lights from the battery was sufficent
At the MCC trials at Silverstone we had to prove we had a working dynamo
After loosing all the teeth off the dynamo sprocket in a half hour trial I borrowed a trick from Ron Kemps Flash I bored out a dynamo casing till it was very thin and put a bulb inside in foam I reversed the ammeter and put a horn button near the twist grip. on starting at the scrutineers I would surreptitiously press the button and the ammeter needle would obligingly move to 'charge' as the bulb in the 'dynamo ' lit up

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Melting restrictor plates, acid dipped parts, lead filled under coat, cheater slicks, 3 inch 30 foot long fuel lines, water drop frames. milled intake surfaces to name a few. Cant do any of that anymore,
a well known motor cycle rider at El marag went through Tech ,after tech changed plates and tech sticker to different bike that didn't meet class rules, they banned him from racing for one year.

MAX

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Hi, genedn,
my Comet achieved 125kph max with 48teeth-sprocket. This was a value of a NSU-Max in the 1950ies, and not equivalent for a 500, as I remembered. So, set valves and ignition correctly (MKII-cams) and added 50teeth-sprocket which cured my problem: 142kph max.!
Admittedly, lying flat on the bike in tight leathers, and only once for test purpose. Thank god, that nobody could see, who it was!
I used a bycycle-digital speedo which stores max. values. I noted max. speeds in every gear, to observe, that it reached max. rpm in
1st to 3rd, but not in fourth. In Paul Richardson´s book you can find the gear ratios to find out, that with stock sprockets, the engine
will settle at 4800rpm only for 125kph, as it is around 20- 22hp with the comet engine. For 90mph you must at least have 28hp, ie. full rpm, with a bike as large and heavy, as a Comet!
I wanted to see 90mph, as my friend´s Falcone does 125kph with a sidecar fitted!
Now I am happy at 60 - 70mph for hours, if needed, and it´s real fun on twisty roads!
keep smiling!
Michael