Comet Top End Speed

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
On the question of porting, we generally refer to the size at the outside ofvthe head, ie, stock 1 -1/8"(28mm+-), or ported to 33, 34 or even 35 mm.
On reading Irving's writings on port sizes and shapes for various engine types/usages, it is clear that a lot of thoughful design went into the shape and size of the original Vincent ports, valve size and seat design. It was made the way it was in order to perform really well in most conditions on the road, but not for racing. In tuning for speed he describes how to carefully make changes to the port shape and size in order to get more ultimate horsepower, always at the cost of horsepower and tractibility lower in the rpm range. And that is only when porting is done correctly by someone with knowledge. If badly done, port velocity is lost, charge density decrease, and you have created a gutless wonder that has giant ports.
The old rule was 'If in doubt, port it out" Now it is more commonly understood that port shape , not just size, is the big factor.
What we have with a lot of these ported out bikes, like my ex sprinter, is something that was attacked by someone with a die grinder and no knowledge of flow. No wonder the results are so variable!

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
When I worked at Sonny's shop , Sonny had a motto, you have to do it all to succeed in the motorcycle business . Sonny sold new and used bikes, did maintenance work and had a few in house products . Fiberglass products were Fairings, Seats, his most successful product was his two in to one intake manifold for the Norton Commando , a single Mikuni carb, there by eliminating the two Amals. Sonny had a large map of the world , every time he sold a complete unit, gasket ,manifold, cable ,throttle, air cleaner a stick pin was placed where the unit was sold. When I left the shop there was over 400 stick pins on the map the pins were vertically in all major countries all over the world, and even some countries that are seldom
herd of. So I guess it takes more then two Amals to beat one Mikuni ? :)

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Glen is right about his point about the need for velocity, a normal aspirated engine with a carb wont work with out it. the carb needs velocity to work. It is a common practice to design a port that is larger then the valve in all out racers. There are many engines that have say a 2 1/4 inch intake valve with a 2 1/2 inch injector , the injector not dependent on velocity, fuel is provided as needed mechanically. My liner with standard valves and 2 inch intake ports will set there at 1200 rpm all day long and never miss a beat.

Max

Albervin

VOC Member
I think we have gone way beyond what Eugene was asking here. He wants a nice, clean running road bike with a decent amount of ride-ability. References to porting, alternate carbs etc. etc. are a bit OTT. At least we have all given him food for thought but one step at a time is always the way to go when "improving" a bike.

Albervin

VOC Member
The post wasn't specifically aimed at you Chris. It was just a gradual move away by each post from a basic fix. It took me a couple of years to get my Comet working as I wanted in the hills around here.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I think we have gone way beyond what Eugene was asking here. He wants a nice, clean running road bike with a decent amount of ride-ability. References to porting, alternate carbs etc. etc. are a bit OTT. At least we have all given him food for thought but one step at a time is always the way to go when "improving" a bike.

I have through all of the posts learnt allot.

I appreciate all the comments and look forward to the Vancouver BC section rides that are up coming.

The more technical posts are indeed a little over my head, but interesting all the same.

Great to see that this thread has added to the overall community.

Cheers…

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
You will have no problem finding talent in the Vancouver area to give you plenty of guidance on keeping your newly acquired Vincent running in top notch condition , you are in for a treat, the brother is strong for the most part. There are dust ups from time to time , ultra ALPHA males you know, best not to take sides usually both sides have a point. As far as your comment on the more technical posts, I think the over whelming majority enjoyed and found them interesting . I didn't under stand the moderators point of micro managing the thread whose by its title suggested technical comments. The dumbing down by the moderator was a bit baffling,

Enjoy your ride.

Max
Its a shame, Max, that you cant resist the urge to take a cheap shot at every opportunity. Stop taking cheap shots..its childish.
Bob Collings

Last edited by a moderator: