Comet Top End Speed

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was told that the car consumption figures are obtained by trained drivers using WOT (wide open throttle) ie foot hard down or foot off with no inbetween and letting the electronics do the injector metering while the air orifice presents no obstruction. come back carbs ( 'carbies' in AU for some strange reason) all is forgiven.

Howard

VOC Member
I think one of the problems is that back in the day all top speeds for all motorcycles, not just Vincents, were grossly exaggerated by the manufacturers, bit like fuel consumption figures for cars are today.

Very true. I read recently that RE specifically ordered Smiths speedos set at the maximum legal error (clocking 77 at 70 mph), to make the Bullet look good.

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
;)It's not the diameter of the wheel rim that counts but the diameter of the tyre. 3.00 x 20 = 26; 3.50 x 19 = 26. If you really want to bend the speedo needle try a 16 x 3!!!!

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies! Will look a the ideas suggested.

What is the largest rear sprocket I could go to without changing the standard chain?

cinquecento

Non-VOC Member
I don't mean to hijack the thread , but having just counted the final drive spkts ( Comet ) both sides are 48T, i thought all had optionional ratio for sidecar setup. Also, one is stamped 48T while the other isn't. curiouser and curiouser.

davidd

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies! Will look a the ideas suggested.

What is the largest rear sprocket I could go to without changing the standard chain?

I think you may be able to span the two teeth with the stock chain. I think that I have done it before. On the racer I have a new chain for every two teeth.

David

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I think you may be able to span the two teeth with the stock chain. I think that I have done it before. On the racer I have a new chain for every two teeth.

David
David thanks,

Thinking I would like to step it up to a 50t. What length chain would I need and do the spares company have them?