Comet Top End Speed

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Chain lengths can not be given as a absolute as wear of sprockets and chain stretch varies. It is best to buy a chain a little to long and a chain splitter at the same time. you wont regret having the chain splitter and when you buy the chain buy a extra master length and keep the extra in the tool tray. Spares should be able to make a chain any length desired.

davidd

VOC Member
David thanks,

Thinking I would like to step it up to a 50t. What length chain would I need and do the spares company have them?

Gene,

The cheapest way to buy chain is what Max offered. Generally, you can find your favorite chain for sale from an on-line supplier and they will offer it in various lengths, with the price going up with the length. I try to buy my chain on sale and the length is usually 112 and I cut it down to what I need. Unfortunately, I am using a 20T counter shaft sprocket and I have moved my gear box slightly, so my figures may not be correct for you, but I hope one of the many Comet riders will speak up. I use 106 for 48T, 108 for 50T and 110 for 52T. I would not be surprised if this is the same for stock Comets.

If you do not want to cut your own chain, once you find out the length, I would call Coventry Spares if you do not have a local shop that you feel comfortable with. You can order a few spares, like cables and get a chain. Whomever you talk to (John, Susan or Tom) may know exactly the length you need.

I was hesitant to recommend the 50T, but I think it is a good choice for a Comet, particularly two up. It is much better for riding around town.

For anyone who cuts their own chain if you have a few old sprockets you can make a tool as below. I needed portability for racing, but the large aluminum sprocket was great for writing on. A useful tool for the forgetful. I start the chain from underneath in the center where it says "Start" and wind it clockwise back to the center.

David

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Gene,

The cheapest way to buy chain is what Max offered. Generally, you can find your favorite chain for sale from an on-line supplier and they will offer it in various lengths, with the price going up with the length. I try to buy my chain on sale and the length is usually 112 and I cut it down to what I need. Unfortunately, I am using a 20T counter shaft sprocket and I have moved my gear box slightly, so my figures may not be correct for you, but I hope one of the many Comet riders will speak up. I use 106 for 48T, 108 for 50T and 110 for 52T. I would not be surprised if this is the same for stock Comets.

If you do not want to cut your own chain, once you find out the length, I would call Coventry Spares if you do not have a local shop that you feel comfortable with. You can order a few spares, like cables and get a chain. Whomever you talk to (John, Susan or Tom) may know exactly the length you need.

I was hesitant to recommend the 50T, but I think it is a good choice for a Comet, particularly two up. It is much better for riding around town.

For anyone who cuts their own chain if you have a few old sprockets you can make a tool as below. I needed portability for racing, but the large aluminum sprocket was great for writing on. A useful tool for the forgetful. I start the chain from underneath in the center where it says "Start" and wind it clockwise back to the center.

David

David..

Thank you allot for your insights into this area of riding and setting up a machine.

This has helped me a great deal to think through the process. I am sure with a little time on carburation and either a 48 or 50 sprocket I will dial the bike in.

The point of this process for me was not to ride the hell out of the bike. I just want to know if I need a short burst at a good clip (70Mph or a little more) more I can do it.

Howard

VOC Member
Gene
Looks like the consensus is gearing, but don't forget the silencer. One of our section members had similar symptoms last year, he changed the silencer and got an instant improvement - the change was from smile to grin from ear to ear in one easy step.;)
H

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
The only thing I would add to this thread would be , remember the B and C RFM are not the same length,
the B is one inch shorter on the twin, cant remember on the singles , probably holds true to them as well.

Regards Max

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Jim, I Thought it was me, After Bruce said it was OK It worked for me twice, Then back to not working !! I have been pressing buttons I have never pressed befor, Driving me mad. Cheers Bill.