E: Engine Comet Oil Leak

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A good useful company to know about is Tracy tools LTD down in Torquay , they can supply most of the taps , dies ,reamers,and Helicoil kits that the average Vincent owner will need, and all at a reasonable price.
On my engine the bolt hole just below the A.T.D has been drilled completely through to the other side, I have never seen this before.
stumpy lord

Steve Morris

VOC Member
A good useful company to know about is Tracy tools LTD down in Torquay , they can supply most of the taps , dies ,reamers,and Helicoil kits that the average Vincent owner will need, and all at a reasonable price.
On my engine the bolt hole just below the A.T.D has been drilled completely through to the other side, I have never seen this before.
stumpy lord
Thanks for this. I have just received a helicoil kit from Tracey’s tools in fact, super fast service and very helpful. I couldn’t find a pair of balls in the box though, until I find them I am loathed to use it....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good job these are old Bikes, And not worth much !.
I did my Special, Plug threads, With out taking the heads off, Compression was down a bit at first, But I soon blew it out, I did it first on a spare head I had, Just to get a feel for it.
Make a thread in bit of old alloy, You have a tap, And helicoil that first, Worth playing before doing the real job. Good Luck, Bill.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for this. I have just received a helicoil kit from Tracey’s tools in fact, super fast service and very helpful. I couldn’t find a pair of balls in the box though, until I find them I am loathed to use it....
I have found that a light coat of oil on the insert aids the fitting, seems to prevent sticking half way in.
stumpy

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Morning all,

An update, yesterday i received the gasket and seals so re-fitted the timing cover. I used a light coating of wellseal on the gasket.

Like i mentioned before, i did not helicoil the damaged thread as it was only the top half to the thread that was stripped, instead i bought a 1/4 x 1 1/2 cap head allen bolt and carefully measuring the depth of the hole took about a 1/16th off the top so it utilised all the thread without bottoming out. I also tightened all the other bolts in a 'dry run' first, using a feeler gauge to ensure that the surface area around the partially stripped hole would clamp just using the 2 bolts either side, which it did. This meant i didn't have to apply too much pressure when tightening the offending bolt.

It was a success, I have tightened all the bolts to about 8Nm (the stripped one I set at 4Nm), and alls well!

Todays job is to adjust the primary chain, then i can sleep easier...

Thanks for everyone who has contributed, I am learning loads about these 'beasts'!!!

Best regards,

Steve.

Black Flash

VOC Member
If you want Peter Barker to help you, don't mention mm or Nm. He just wrote to me that 2 3/16th is an even number.

Sorry Peter I just had to..
Bernd

Steve Morris

VOC Member
So, primary chain now adjust (Thanks Laurence!) and i am much happier now. I ran the bike for a good while, getting it up to temperature, then a short test ride. Absolutely NO oil leaks under the bike, not a drop!

So, whilst looking at the engine and feeling rather smug about the job i had just completed I thought i could smell petrol? Cue the leaking fuel tap, now that wasn't leaking before!! I have come to the conclusion that 70 year old bikes are not 'happy' unless thy are leaking something........