E: Engine Comet Oil Leak

Mike T

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, i decided that as the oil was p*ss*ng out i would need to bite the bullet and remove the cover. I did lots of reading and watched a lot of Mi Ty's videos on youtube (seems a really nice guy, does he frequent this website?) and removed the cover today. I tried to tighten the screws first to ensure i had not dodgy threads, and low and behold i did.....

I think i have found the reason why though, The one circled is just turning when i tried to tighten it, but after a good clean up, check and measure, i discovered the screw wasn't long enough. The one adjacent to it was about 5-7mm longer, and after measuring the depth of the hole, worked out this was exactly what i need! The timing cover didn't have a gasket, it was just fitted using red hematite (horrid stuff, never did like it, in my apprenticeship i used to use it to fit and seal core plugs), so, I believe whoever fitted the cover back on last time mixed the screws up?

Anyway, I have ordered a plain gasket from VOC plus 2 camshaft oil feed rubber washers, and am now waiting for them to arrive. While i am pondering, does anyone have or can someone suggest a preference to which gasket sealant i should use? Welseal or Hylomar? (or neither!).

Here is a couple of pictures showing the screw holes i mentioned earlier. Can i ask the learned to cast their eyes over it also? and let me know if something doesn't look right? Also, what else should i check whilst in here?

Thanks all.

Regards,

Steve.
Hi Steve, thanks a lot for your kind words ;) Yes, Mi(ke) Ty(ler) was the first thing I could think of when I setup the YouTube account haha. My Comet is also covered in oil and I'm hoping to turn my attention to it over the winter. Best wishes, Mike

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Steve, I like Red Stuff !, But the last few I have just used Grease on the gasket, Maybe red stuff on a screw head if it leaks after you run it up, Don't use any kind of silicone, It goes into small balls and blocks things off !!. Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Threebond 1215 ........Grey........sealant. I have used it for years on all alloy crankcases and covers, it is probably one of the best out there. Just pad a small amount around the cover face, no gasket needed or you can use one if you want. The Jap's have been assembling their engines with it with no gaskets for years, you don't see them leaking oil. Good luck............Greg.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The lock tabs on the large and small idlers are meant to ensure that the nuts tighten should the pinion seize on the spindle, in which case the spindle turns anti-clockwise. The longest tail of the lock tab must be bent over the edge of the steady plate at a point as far anti-clockwise as possible and one or two tabs then hold the nut. I think this may also have been wrong on Mr. Tyler's otherwise excellent and comprehensive series of videos. I just use a 3/16" drill bit, kerosene (paraffin) and an old chuck held by hand. I use a Triumph lock washer as mentioned in previous posts on the crankshaft nut.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Sorry Steve, I like Red Stuff !, But the last few I have just used Grease on the gasket, Maybe red stuff on a screw head if it leaks after you run it up, Don't use any kind of silicone, It goes into small balls and blocks things off !!. Cheers Bill.

You're right Bill, anything silicon based does this, i have always detested things like 'Instant Gasket' etc. Most people dont realise it was originally designed as an emergency method incase you were stuck and didn't have a gasket, its horrible stuff..

I have used Blue Hylomar before, much better... You're right about using just grease, I was taught as an apprentice (many moons ago!) to use grease, not as a sealant aid, more to hold gaskets in place, the gasket should do the work after all..

Regards,

Steve.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies..

Right, did some research last night and discovered (maybe someone could confirm?) that the timing cover bolts are all the same length except for 2 (the ones that fit in the dowels), which means that the screw hole that is stripped had a shorter incorrect bolt fitted!

Can anyone confirm?

Regards,

Steve.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Yes, 2 off 1/4BSW x 1-1/4" long - cheesehead slotted screws (dowels).
and 9 off - ditto - but 1" long.

Best you helical the stripped thread.

Causes of stripping are screws too short and/or crud in holes and/or ham-fisted previous owners.

Peter B

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just check to see if the bad screw hole is breaking into T/ chest ?, And try to flat the outer case If bowed ?.
Cheers Bill.