vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now thats something we could do with a tyre pressure table for Comet and twin
18" and 19" things have changes since Richardson

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I read somewhere the other day, Go up from what the book says, 4 to 8 lb, The book said 20 ish, So that is what I have found 26 to 28 on the twin and Comet, I have tried the even higher settings and did not like it.
Cheers Bill.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
I am going by this table. I hope its correct although the pressures seem a little low to me? Its a screenshot from Vincent.com

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 08.36.23.png

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I've been running the Shadow on 28 front and back. I got curious when I thought about my '72 Triumph Daytona was 26 front and 24 rear, realizing the 41 front and 36 rear for my '95 Triumph Sprint was out of the question. I figured a couple of pounds up from the '72 wasn't bad jumping off point. As Bill said in his post I tried higher but didn't like it. Though looking at the Avon tech page, I running AM26s, http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/ they seem to recommend higher. But I think I'll stick with 28- 30 max for now.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
Those 19 18 size wheels with pressures at below 20 are lower than I am used to but I wonder about the table age and how it relates to my bike and tyre mixes

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
This topic has no single answer and I think tyre construction and compounds have changed dramatically in 50 years.
I use 32 psi rear (100/90 x 19 Metzeler Sportec Klassik) and 30 psi front (3.00x20 ribbed avon) on my B Rapide and find it's perfect for me - wet or dry.
Higher pressures cause the tread to warm up while underinflating causes the sidewalls to deflect and get hot. Signs of over inflation include feeling every bump on the road and early sliding when cornering. :p

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
You got me there Greg! :)

Overinflating the tyres to get them to break away early and predictably was a hot tip I got from Keith Code's book "A Twist of the Wrist". Worthwhile reading for any 'enthusiastic' rider.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I used to run 40 lb when Sprinting, Less Rolling resistance, Nearly caught out Alan Nash, When he asked to go for a Thrash, Around !!, The Airfield. Cheers Bill.

alscomet

VOC Member
On my Comet I run front Avon Speedmaster 300 x 20 at 28 to 30 psi
On the rear I have Avon Speedmaster 350 x 19 at 30 to 32 Psi I have had the valve on the rear rip out when I tried running at the lower pressures of 24 so now stick to the said values.