Misc: Everything Else Comet Handling

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Pete, Nice to know it's not just me, We built a bike out of a load of bits, And I got first ride !!, Short straw !, We had fitted an Hydraulic Steering Damper, My bikes run 2 clicks from soft, But the begger felt real bad, Slow weave, Narrow road, Nowhere to go !, I have been thrown off in the past, So not happy.
Put the damper on weakest setting = better, Then after a bit I heard a clonk on the forks, The bearings were too loose now, It settled down after a few miles and then Ron gave it a ride and felt it was OK.
I now also cut the wheel bearing felts in half, Feels better to me. Cheers Bill.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Thanks guys.

I have just read the latest MPH and how to set up the forks. I think i'll try to set them up tomorrow using the instructions, and while I'm there check and set up the steering head bearings. I am in the mind that if the bearings are good, and just need greasing and re-setting i'll do just that.

Ill keep you posted!

Best regards,

Steve.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Has anybody done work on the forks recent ?.
Greg and I both think the felt at the bottom of the stem is a bit thick, Does it look new, They take a while to bed in, It makes it hard to judge the bearing setting.
My Brother Ron has to fit one soon, And I suggested to make it thinner, ie Cut it in half.
The other thing is if taper roller bearings have been fitted, Some need the steering head ground so the inner bearing does not touch. Cheers Bill.

Hi Bill,

No, nothing has been done to the forks for years, all looks quite original to me as well.

Thanks,

Steve.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's a big job Steve, Might be an idea to just take the steering damper apart first, Nice easy job !, There may be a problem there. Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks Pete, Nice to know it's not just me, We built a bike out of a load of bits, And I got first ride !!, Short straw !, We had fitted an Hydraulic Steering Damper, My bikes run 2 clicks from soft, But the begger felt real bad, Slow weave, Narrow road, Nowhere to go !, I have been thrown off in the past, So not happy.
Put the damper on weakest setting = better, Then after a bit I heard a clonk on the forks, The bearings were too loose now, It settled down after a few miles and then Ron gave it a ride and felt it was OK.
I now also cut the wheel bearing felts in half, Feels better to me. Cheers Bill.
Nilos rings (seals) Bill, all those strands of felt in the bearings cannot be good, they are also are capable of wearing the brake plates locally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Been reading about them, Not sure I like the idea, Never seen them, I should get out more !.
Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Bill, They work like a seal in a water pump, just a very thin steel edge that just rests against the side of the outer bearing cup in the hub in constant contact. The grease from the bearing acts as lubricant but sometimes they squeak a little. I've been using them in bikes for years, take a small amount of set up to get a small amount of pre-load by using the available axle shims, sometimes you don't need any. Much less messy than the felt ones, the felt these days does not have the strength of the old school stuff and they tend to roll themselves up in a ball.................:eek:.................Cheers..................Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Greg, What about the extra weight !.
I have been using felts with alloy plates since the 70 s, Never had trouble.
Still learning !. Cheers, Bill.