Misc: Everything Else Comet Handling

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been out today for the first really good run on my Comet. I loved it! all except that is...

The handling is atrocious. The bike seems to not be capable of holding a steady line, and weaves all over the place. It appears to track anywhere it likes! almost like the steering damper is overtightened, but its not.

Tyres/wheels seem to spin up straight, but the steering head bearings seem tight, plus there is a small amount of play in the upper link eccentric bushes. I just looked up the price of head bearings and almost fell off my chair!!

Any thoughts?

Steve.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Try making the bearing more loose, But not too much.
Are the wheels in line, I bought a rear fork once, And because they are made offset, It's not easy to see if they have been crashed, I had a good idea ! , But bought them anyway, And straightened them myself cold.
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
You should adjust the head bearings with the front end off the ground and the steering damper right off until there is JUST no movement back and forwards and the forks should turn easily from lock to lock.
If there is any doubt about their condition take the forks out and inspect the races.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
My first impression after buying my Comet was that it is a pleasant handling touring bike. So definitely you have at least one problem.

timetraveller

VOC Member
You can save money by getting the head races converted to taper roller bearings, not the Club Shop ones. It means either taking your steering head out of the oil tank or sending the whole lot down here. PM me if slackening the head races do not cure the problem and if you want to go down the taper head race bearings route.

davidd

VOC Member
Steve,

Jack the bike up and check the steering head bearings as Chris has pointed out. Make sure the movement is not "notchy", too loose or too tight. Take a spin and see how it is.

If you think the problem is the front end, there is a good chance that it is the rear end. Make sure the rear wheel and tire spin true while up on the stand. Make sure the rear axle is tight, etc. I make sure my front and rear wheels are aligned.

It the bike had a tube frame I would tell you to check for a cracked tube. Because it does not, give the bike a shake around the gear box plates to see if there is any wiggle... some bolts left loose or the rfm pivot is loose. You can do the same with the front end by standing with the wheel gripped between your legs and trying to turn the bars a bit. See if there is too much wiggle somewhere.

David

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Hi David, thanks for that.

I know what you mean about the rear and front, i'll definitely check although i did have a general tighten up yesterday morning before my ride out as i mentioned the rear light fell off last week, so i was very aware that a few more things may be 'loose'!

With the front up and wheel in, and the steering damper loose, the bars have to be moved round, ready Paul Richardsons book it suggests the bars/forks should 'fall' to the full lock position either way from central?

Ill have a play tomorrow!

Thanks again.

Steve.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Has anybody done work on the forks recent ?.
Greg and I both think the felt at the bottom of the stem is a bit thick, Does it look new, They take a while to bed in, It makes it hard to judge the bearing setting.
My Brother Ron has to fit one soon, And I suggested to make it thinner, ie Cut it in half.
The other thing is if taper roller bearings have been fitted, Some need the steering head ground so the inner bearing does not touch. Cheers Bill.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Good point Bill. When I fitted my new one the bike was unrideable. Forcing the nozzle of an oil can into it at a few places around the circumference and injecting a load of oil made it useable long enough for it to bed in. I haven't had to oil it since.