Misc: Everything Else Comet Handling

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I still can't see how that made it stiff, Unless the twist made the head clip touch the head stock, Maybe check for marks ?. Cheers Bill

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I have been out today for the first really good run on my Comet. I loved it! all except that is...

The handling is atrocious. The bike seems to not be capable of holding a steady line, and weaves all over the place. It appears to track anywhere it likes! almost like the steering damper is overtightened, but its not.

Tyres/wheels seem to spin up straight, but the steering head bearings seem tight, plus there is a small amount of play in the upper link eccentric bushes. I just looked up the price of head bearings and almost fell off my chair!!

Any thoughts?

Steve.

I have fitted tapered head stem bearings and the superb modified head stem (from time traveller) and a hydraulic steering damper to my Comet. Handles like a train on rails - chaps I ride with on modern bikes say they struggle to stay with me in the twisties - but they just bugger off when it gets straight!

Steve Morris

VOC Member
I have made a short video showing a safe way to remove the front spring boxes, can i post it on here?

Sorry Bill, Wasn't clear enough there (I knew what i meant!), the steering problem i am going to attribute to the head bearings, which i am replacing. The 'stiffness' was in the removal of the upper link spindle.

Steve

Steve Morris

VOC Member

OK, lets try!

Most of you will no doubt already know this but for those who don't, it makes life a whole lot easier!

Steve.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I must get one of those Steve.
This is the Elusive Special Tool Mk1 /3 1/2.
The late Roger Haylett put in the MPH years ago.
Just a bit of Fun, Bill. DSCN0044.JPG