C: Clutch Comet Burman clutch questions

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Do not get a new Triumph Thruxton if you don't like people constantly coming up to you to chat, take pictures, and give thumbs up when you pass by. It is most annoying, and the Triumph seems to garner as much or more attention than my Vincents.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am not the best people person,
But I talk to anyone who wants to,
I have started chats with modern bike owners, I find it interesting, What it's like with new stuff.
And been shunned by Vintage blokes, Because I have a Vincent,
You can never tell !.

vibrac

VOC Member
To really see people and talk your steed needs to be pre 1930 then even ramblers smile as you go by and on my belt drive Douglas I even got a "Hi" from a licra clothed push biker as he overtook me but I noticed that he did not give me 1.5 meters space but then the Highway code doesnt cover passing motorcycle spacing :mad:

As for getting a new motorcycle its not impossible to own both. Also consider that since I paid £15 for my Comet and £5 for an engine (not all my youth was misspent:D) I dont begrudge a few quid on a lithium battery, and don't mention the potential profit if I sold it for sure that aint happening.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
500cc Series A clutches had a tin cover around the outside of the drum. I guess it served 2 purposes. To stop too much oil getting on the plates and secondly as it fitted fairly tightly around the drum it stopped it from spreading outwards. This may not have been on all clutches but have been on all the A Comets that I have owned.
Brian, I have just seen this on ebay, Funny it's what I was thinking of doing,
To keep most of the oil off the plates, Do you think it's an "A" Clutch ?,
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 23

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I've never seen a figure given for this, but for a rough guide assemble the plates and loosely fit the outer kickstart cover. Align the lifting arm into the slot and see what range of movement you get, remembering there is adjustment at the lower arm pivot. What you have there is enough clearance to lift the plates; all you need now is for the handlebar lever, arm and cable to provide it for you. If you need it to come out a bit then a wider roller under the fork end will do it. The little diecast cap on the outer adjuster has a flat which should just clear the head of the kickstart bolt. Make sure the end of the cable doesn't foul the filler cap.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Isn't the machined slot in the fork on a slight taper........meaning it needs to be oriented first before the outer cover goes on.......?.........Cheers.