C: Clutch Comet Burman clutch questions

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
K 100 ? The sound is awful , the design is good for eye cancer and a shaft drive is not for a motorcycle ,it is good for a boat! Greetings from Germany ,Erik !

vibrac

VOC Member
the K100 was good enough for Ben to come third in the 4 hour classic endurance with a set of friends and family as pit crew while Guy Martin and the might of the Suzuki Classic (on a so called classic GSX ) Endurance race team came second
1641484693318.png

A Nut

VOC Member
Hi Bill,
Mine has been off the road for a few years. I have made a set of leading link forks for it with variable trail as I have a Watsonian Monza with beefed up chassis to go on it but I may end up putting it back solo. Just another job to do amongst a host of others!
Brian

erik

VOC Member
German design.German engineering.And affordable .You can get one for the price of a kickstarter of a twin.Erik

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Must admit , I have been buying some knackered Comet engine bits,
And on a Youtube been told , You can pick up an early BMW Adventure Twin for £2500 !!,
Am I MAD ????.
The wife thinks so.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Bill, We are all totally mad, totally raving mad, everything we try to achieve with our 70 odd years old Vincents we could simply go to a dealer and purchase, brand new, with a guarantee, and almost certainly at less cost.

Lets just consider what we/some try to achieve once we have purchased our £20k Comet, or even if you have one or two tucked away that cost you nothing back in the day.

I am not going to cost it out, but it is plain to see, Alton electric start, Alton alternator, Avo suspension, Terry Prince big bore kit (although I believe we have seen the last of those) Honda clutch, twin leading shoe brakes, longer seat (if you ride two up) Mikuni carb, I could go on, but I am sure you get the drift, all this is available at your local dealer, maybe a BMW 800, or new Royal Enfield twin.

But they won't be a Vincent, I really don't understand why I do it, but 56 years is a hard habit to kick, and I still love it!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The wife says, Sell all my JUNK and buy one good new bike !!,
But I want a Guzzi V85, A V Strom and a BMW 1250 GS,
AND all my Junk,
She does not understand !!.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
The wife says, Sell all my JUNK and buy one good new bike !!,
But I want a Guzzi V85, A V Strom and a BMW 1250 GS,
AND all my Junk,
She does not understand !!.
Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one in this situation. I feel so much better now. Though I do feel a bit persecuted when she starts throwing the word "Hoarder" around. Though when she says we need something that does this or that, or asks if I have something like........ I feel very much vindicated when after I rummage around in "My Junk" and I produce whatever it is she is after. That's my ammo to hang onto "My Junk".
Steven

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I don't know how important it is to you Bill, but if you got rid of your Vincents, no one is going to come up to you and strike up a conversation riding any of the bikes that you suggest. I have had some wonderful conversations with various people when parking up my Rapide and Comet, and that is in addition to the pleasure of riding them, it is true I have also had the odd irritating chats, one local classic enthusiast who owns and rides lesser British bikes took great delight in informing me that his father had owned a Vincent back in the day, and stated that it was total crap and that he wouldn't want one, even if it was given to him for free. There is no accounting for taste, is there!

Last edited: