C: Clutch Comet Burman clutch questions

A Nut

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just changed the clutch plates in a 59 Triumph Thunderbird to Surflex plates as the modern postage stamp friction material stuck so badly that you just could not free it by holding the lever in and kicking like mad. The Surflex plates are a lot dearer but definitely worth it. My Victor replica has Surflex as well but I had to use what I think are BSA ones and file them to fit. I change the drum as soon as the slots get worn ( or weld and remachine the slots) then check that all the steel plates are dead flat. It's worth checking the hub for wear as well. I use TQF in the primary drive as this is used in automatic car gearboxes and they have friction material in them. All the bikes go into gear so quietly that I sometimes have to check that it has actually gone into gear! Biggest problem is remembering which bike I am on as the Triumph is 1 down & 3 up where as the Vincent is 1 up & 3 down!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not looking to do that Erik,
As I said, I had just wiped the plates ,When fitting T.T.s Mod',
So still well oiled !,
And it was Perfect.

A Nut

VOC Member
I don't think you need to make the Burman clutch oiltight just not immerse everything in oil. You need some oil in there to lubricate not only the chain but to prevent wear on the clutch plate tongues otherwise the resultant wear if the clutch, shock absorber and chain will be excessive.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have just changed the clutch plates in a 59 Triumph Thunderbird to Surflex plates as the modern postage stamp friction material stuck so badly that you just could not free it by holding the lever in and kicking like mad. The Surflex plates are a lot dearer but definitely worth it. My Victor replica has Surflex as well but I had to use what I think are BSA ones and file them to fit. I change the drum as soon as the slots get worn ( or weld and remachine the slots) then check that all the steel plates are dead flat. It's worth checking the hub for wear as well. I use TQF in the primary drive as this is used in automatic car gearboxes and they have friction material in them. All the bikes go into gear so quietly that I sometimes have to check that it has actually gone into gear! Biggest problem is remembering which bike I am on as the Triumph is 1 down & 3 up where as the Vincent is 1 up & 3 down!
My Comet is one down three up !, Twins standard,
Don't often forget !, Must be the sound ?.

oexing

VOC Member
As I said, trim the friction plates down to 10 mm wide so oil is no longer your problem. All Japs got these clutches and millions don´t have troubles from them. Also you don´t have much of a problem with warped plates once the working faces are narrow enough.
One thing I found is when the bike only does short trips for a while you may see real rust on plates, sort of hygroscopic possibly. So you get a stuck clutch not easy to free then.

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Brian, I am always curious why TQF is chosen in preference to an oil that is designed specifically for motorcycle transmissions and wet clutches in the same compartment, I have always been very happy with Motul Transoil 10W-30. I have heard that TQF can make the Comet/Honda clutch plates a bit sticky once it has been hot a few times. I am not suggesting that you are wrong to use it, just interested as to why you choose it.

A Nut

VOC Member
Hi Peter,
Someone suggested using it many years ago as I believe that auto transmissions had some sort of brake band in them and were immersed in that oil. I have used it for many years now without any ill effects.

A Nut

VOC Member
My Comet is one down three up !, Twins standard,
Don't often forget !, Must be the sound ?.
Hi Bill, The Comet, the Victor and the Shadow for that matter are all 1 up and 3 down. The TT Rep must be like your bike with the pedal reversed giving 1 down and 3 up. I don't forget very often, maybe more so these days! Then of course I have the added problem of the K100 with the pedals on the wrong sides! When I find that I'm getting it wrong all of the time I will know that dementia really has caught up with me!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I do miss my K100, What a fine bike they are,
I only sold it for £500,
It had me going in the early days,
Someone had put 2 ply tyres on it !!, And the steering was Dangerous !,
I had to allow So much extra road space on the bends,
It used all the road and then some !.
Big Bill Telfer asked me to ride it to a friends garage, To sell,
I think he knew I would fall in love with it ? , 90 B.H.P !!,
I had never rode anything like it,