C: Clutch Comet Burman clutch questions

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
20220103_BumanClutch1.jpg

Sumpthin go in this Burman clutch cover recess?
Just the clutch rod?
Thank you
Craig

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
A Ball Bearing !!,
I have just fitted one of Timetravellers Mods,
I like it , But now think I should put a Thin steel shield around the drum ,
To make it even better.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Or better still. Cut down the pushrod, re- harden, fit a tappet from a small side-valve Briggs and Stratton motor mower engine. Or, if you actually want to spend money, Royal Enfield have a needle roller lifter that suits.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I can't see if the ball is missing on yours Craig ?,
This is T.T.s mod' , I find the balance on the springs is more easy with the mod' ,
The old type can change with the heat,
Mine was Perfect after the mod', Till I had done a few miles ,
They were old plates which I just wiped,
Then the oil got to the plates and made gear selection not SO good, But still good,
It always been a nice clutch !,
So next time it's in bits, I will weld a cover round the drum ,
To keep excess oil off the plates.
Cheers Bill.
I think I had to bore out the centre hole in the plate a Nats !, To take T.T. s Mod.

Attachments

• 831_THRUST_PLUG_-_BEARING_MOD_thumb.jpg
    831_THRUST_PLUG_-_BEARING_MOD_thumb.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220104_082657.jpg
    IMG_20220104_082657.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 29

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just to point out that the first of Bill's pictures is the kit for twins, which was the first one I designed. It is true that with the Burman clutch I designed it in such a way that one has to increase the diameter of the central hole. The insert is different between the twins and singles. The design is intended to help to lift the plate squarely as well as to reduce wear.

craig

VOC Member
Thank you. It seems the Burman clutch cover would have an inserted steel ball, but I dont find this ball referenced anywhere in Burman literature.
If there were a steel balls, both have fallen out, so this is a loose piece when installing?

What is the stack length/components of a Burman clutch rod, without splitting it.
1/4" ball, 11¼" rod, 5/16" ball, fork end?

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Craig, I think the ball is held in by Tapping with a hammer on the edge ?,
I always use 2 rods with a 1/4" 1/4" roller in the middle on Comet and Twins,
If I change clutches, I can alter the length by adding rollers,
For Racing.
Norman was worried about the length using His Mod ' ,
But I found I only needed to adjust a small amount at the gearbox.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
OK so there are now eight orders and I can try to get the CNC chaps to do ten but they are likely to take weeks, even if they will take on such a simple job. My machining is not up to making stuff to sell so before I do any more is there anyone in this VOC family who is prepared to make a few. The only part needed is the part to be pressed into the ally plate. It is steel and is made from a piece of 32 mm diameter round bar. has no threads or other complications. I can send a CAD drawing to anyone out there who has the time and skills. I do not make a mark up on other peoples work so you will not be being used.
I also need some information about the clutch push rod on Comets. I do not have access to one so I have no idea whether it is a split one like on the twins.. I could just send out the devices without a pushrod which is only a length of 1/4" diameter silver steel but when I send them out I harden the inner end.
Hi Norman,
The post-war 500 clutch pushrod is a one-piece 1/4" silver steel rod. I have never had a problem with it being one piece or heard it mentioned as a general problem on the 500's pre- or post-war.

My book of notes on post-war clutch pushrods says:-
Ron Kemp- 11.1/4"
Ed Stevens- 11.3/8" not 11.5/8"
Know thy Beast - 11.3/8" long or 2 x 5.9/16" and a 1/4" roller.
Robin [Blackwell I guess?] -11.1/4", cut in half and 2 x 1/4" x 5/16" rollers.

Clearly originally they fitted them with a finite length, but we're some years away from that now.
A dogs breakfast, depending on the number of clutch plates and lots of other variables, I just make the pushrod to suit the individual bike.
I'd just send the kit out with an explanation to replace or trim the clutch pushrod to length and re-harden.
Hope that's of some help.
Delboy.

Like Like Quote Reply