Bonhams Las Vegas Auction

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
THIS GOES TO SHOW THAT YOU'VE BEEN WASTEING YOUR MONEY ON GARAGES.LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE IN THE ELEMENTS,THEY'LL BRING MORE IN THE END.:mad:
As I know and am good friends with purchaser of the Du Pont Shadow, I can say that the compulsion to bid and bid was that it appeared to be, at least engine wise, a totally unmolested 3K miles from new Vincent Black Shadow, where else can you purchase one of those, an original machine that is, the chap that purchased it is certainly not daft, he went to the auction with a long check list of things to look for that might verify the claimed low mileage and satisfied himself that it was right. Would I have purchased it? no, I could not afford to, do I think he is crazy? definitely not, some people like to buy diamond encrusted Rolex watches with their hard earn t money, some people buy Vincents, you pay your money and take your choice. I did Email the purchaser and inquired whether it will receive a full restoration job or whether it will be sympathetically put back to a roadworthy condition but retaining it's acquired patina, I would prefer the latter, I am awaiting a reply. I think it is a cause for celebration that another slumbering beast will be returned to the road.

Somer

VOC Member
It would be a shame to restore that bike.So much original details.Enameling on cases was excellent. Damage to UFM could now be repaired.
THEY ARE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Chaps,

As someone who's glossy-fied a Vin before but now even more appreciative of petena as an increasingly petenaed specimen myself, couldn't agree more, this machine needs to stay with only a very few carefully chosen aesthetic changes to make it consistent.

But, not knowing if it was rev'd to 10 grand during one of those 2 shunts or tracking out of line due to peripheral components to that UFM subtly damaged, it does deserve to be carefully disassembled and mechanical integrity restored. Not in a position to purchase a high profile machine in an equally high profile setting but fortunate to locate a machine with similar mileage, though way farther down the aesthetic food chain, decided to create my own dusty trail horse here 3 years ago. Absolutely no regrets, think it looks much like the well used mounts I stared at for such a long time in the VOC's Photo Miscellany before managing to acquire one.

Like old road worn Knuckleheads and Chiefs, Shadows seem to have a lot more soul when they aren't so shiny.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Howdy Chaps,

As someone who's glossy-fied a Vin before but now even more appreciative of petena as an increasingly petenaed specimen myself, couldn't agree more, this machine needs to stay with only a very few carefully chosen aesthetic changes to make it consistent.

But, not knowing if it was rev'd to 10 grand during one of those 2 shunts or tracking out of line due to peripheral components to that UFM subtly damaged, it does deserve to be carefully disassembled and mechanical integrity restored. Not in a position to purchase a high profile machine in an equally high profile setting but fortunate to locate a machine with similar mileage, though way farther down the aesthetic food chain, decided to create my own dusty trail horse here 3 years ago. Absolutely no regrets, think it looks much like the well used mounts I stared at for such a long time in the VOC's Photo Miscellany before managing to acquire one.

Like old road worn Knuckleheads and Chiefs, Shadows seem to have a lot more soul when they aren't so shiny.
Two word replies to questions without due thought are foolhardy and can lead to severe regrets, the first time I said "I do" was one of those occasions, the other was when Tony Maughan posed me a question whilst he was rebuilding my cherished Rapide engine many years ago, the qestion was "would you like me to scurf and polish the crankcases" and I said "yes please", oh how I regret giving that answer. What seemed so appealing and attractive at the time I now see as a ghastly error of judgement, how I wish I could have back that beautiful rough sand cast finish instead of the brash shiny smooth finish that I now have, at least I was able to correct my hasty "I do" answer but it did take me twenty years, the "yes please" I will have to live with forever. Keep the standard finish and the acquired patina whenever possible.

Albervin

VOC Member
Only 7% buyer premium on these so the prices seem quite OK BUT the pre war "Comet" had me concerned when reading the description. Could have been a Meteor motor in Comet frame? I am biased but the B Rapide seemed a lovely machine.