E: Engine Big bore Comet

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I shouldn't get into it but what carb?

the 636 has a VM34 Mikuni. I open the enrichener circuit (like a good tickle on type 29) and give it a good dose of throttle. It usually fires right away. With no enrichener and no throttle you are relying on the air going past the pilot jet to suck enough mixture to fire, which doesn't always work well.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I also kick start my TTR 500 cc with a big lumpy piston and a prewar Burman, and no compression release. It's a pretty much one kick every time starter.

Clive Harrison

Forum User
VOC Member
I shouldn't get into it but what carb?

the 636 has a VM34 Mikuni. I open the enrichener circuit (like a good tickle on type 29) and give it a good does of throttle. It usually fires right away. With no enrichener and no throttle you are relying on the air going past the pilot jet to suck enough mixture to fire, which doesn't always work well.
Yes on Mikuni VM34 with lever. I find on the occasion it does start I don’t touch the throttle. When on the rollers it starts however I hold throttle and it doesn’t matter whether or not the enriching lever it on or off. It starts immediately

greg brillus

VOC Member
If it has a BTH twin spark mag then it will definitely be difficult to start no matter what you do on the kick start, this is because their advance curve is the same as for a single spark mag........At any rate using a the AMC gearbox the kick start to engine turn ratio is different, you are best off to get engine up to compression with the kickstart lever pointing to the rear, then using the valve lifter rotate the crank down to the bottom of the kicking stoke, then come up fully and kick it normally. The Mikuni carbs tend to run quite lean, so you may need to richen the idle mixture, either go larger in the jet size or, ream the existing one out with a jet drill if you have one....... I have just been through all of this with a 600 Norvin, changed the BTH mag which failed completely to a Tri spark single output ignition system, this now starts easily and goes like a cut cat.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
There are at least 3 different kickers for that box. The best for max mechanical advantage is the RGM folding type. Next best is Commando MK3 style.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Or perhaps the kickstart lever for the Production Racer Commando, which I think is the longest. The standard lever is in the second photo.

Norton1.JPG

Norton2.JPG